Which Bunocephalus?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Deb
I've donated: $75.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 8
My cats species list: 38 (i:21, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 11
Location 2: Virginia USA

Which Bunocephalus?

Post by Deb »

What banjo catfish is this? I've got it narrowed down to either B. coracoideus or B. colombianus.
A side view:
A side view:
Close-up:
Close-up:
Full length:
Full length:

Thanks!
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Re: Which Bunocephalus?

Post by catfishchaos »

The smoothness of the head area (or what appears to be) makes me lean more so towards but when it comes down to Aspredinidae members I know very little, and how to properly ID members of the Bunocephalus members is beyond me.

Regards
James
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi Deb,

Yeah, I don't know for sure if it is either of the species you mentioned, but if it is, this thread is very helpful too: What type of Banjo Cat did i buy?

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:3)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

Hi Deb
How about ?
Martin
Deb

Post by Deb »

Thanks, guys. I thought I had it narrowed down, but I guess not.

After donating my banjo catfish to a local auction, I found the one banjo cat seen above buried in the sand. I guess he wanted to stay with me. :d

So now he is a single. Before the donation, I had had three different species of banjos - two Bunocephalus, and one Pseudobunocephalus. These had been identified here by members of the expert mod team, over the years, so I was satisfied with the IDs.

Now, it seems as if I gave away all of the Bunocephalus and, quite by chance, kept the Pseudo, as Martin suggests.
Martin S wrote:Hi Deb
How about ?
Martin
Except, at the time, the ID given was leaning towards P. quadriradiatus. @Martin S, what traits do you see that lead you to suggest P. amazonicus?
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:3)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

Hi Deb
Based on colouration only really, so probably not the best trait!
How big is your fish @Deb ? P.amazonicus only gets to 1.8" and P. quadriradiatus 1.3" (both sizes SL).
Martin
Deb

Post by Deb »

@Martin S, my banjo is much bigger, about 8 cm (80 mm). No, we can't go by coloration at all. They vary a lot among themselves, from chocolate brown to the lightest cafe au lait.

Now I'm inclined to go with mentioned by catfishchaos earlier. The banjo in question came from the shop of a guy who travels often to Uruguay on collection trips. Unfortunately, there's only one photo in the catelog to judge by.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

@Deb it was the only Buno that had a golden spotted pattern along the lateral line area but like every else said colour has got to be the worst reference for banjo ID.
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Deb

Post by Deb »

Thanks, again, All.

I'd like to try one last time with these two photos of the ventral side; oftentimes for Bunocephalus we are asked to provide a view of the coracoides so that is what I tried to do here.
Ventral view 1.
Ventral view 1.
Ventral view 2.
Ventral view 2.

To me, these bones look rather short.

Return to “What is my catfish?”