L240 Breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Hoffmann
My cats species list: 8 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Norway
Location 2: Bømlo
Interests: Aquarium, fishing

L240 Breeding

Post by Hoffmann »

Hi i have recently purchased a L240 couple, the female is about 17-18 cm and the male is about 15-16 cm, its 2 weeks since i put them in the tank but they are not eating anything, just hiding most of the time and not coming out to eat. the water holds a temp of 28-29 celcius, flow in the tank is about 3500Lph, the main pump is a fluval fx5 and a circulation pump on 2000lph, what can be the problem with the fish? just still settling in the tank or is there something wrong with the fish or the tank?
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

Re: L240 Breeding

Post by pleconut »

Do you have the rest of the parameters for the tank. And size of the tank. As much info will help. See the sticky (BEFORE you post in this forum, read THIS!) at the top of the lori forum for a guide. What are you feeding them?
Thanks Teresa
Chinafishboy
Location 1: Beijing
Location 2: beijing
Interests: Small fish, alien basketball, the tea ceremony

Post by Chinafishboy »

Hoffmann wrote:Hi i have recently purchased a L240 couple, the female is about 17-18 cm and the male is about 15-16 cm, its 2 weeks since i put them in the tank but they are not eating anything, just hiding most of the time and not coming out to eat. the water holds a temp of 28-29 celcius, flow in the tank is about 3500Lph, the main pump is a fluval fx5 and a circulation pump on 2000lph, what can be the problem with the fish? just still settling in the tank or is there something wrong with the fish or the tank?
First of all, please look at the building Lord you can keep fish have sunken eyes and flat stomach. If so, state is very bad, need to take measures to treat. Second, the nocturnal fish usually go to bed I was to turn off the lights before feeding enough food, the second day to see if they eat very well.
Hoffmann

Post by Hoffmann »

Fish looks healthy for the eye, but the are not moving a lott, when i did the last water change i accidentally bumped into one of them and there was barely any reaction.

water parameters right now is ph7.1, Gh 3, kh 2 and temp 29 tank size 540L, there is also a lot of oxygen in the tank.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Do you have readings for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, also.
Thanks Teresa
Hoffmann

Post by Hoffmann »

nitrite is 0, dont have anymore measuring solvent for nitrate and ammonia so i have to get some new ones, looks like they had a meal yesterday, at least the food was gone and there is no other tank mates, but today no reaction to the food
Chinafishboy
Location 1: Beijing
Location 2: beijing
Interests: Small fish, alien basketball, the tea ceremony

Post by Chinafishboy »

Hoffmann wrote:nitrite is 0, dont have anymore measuring solvent for nitrate and ammonia so i have to get some new ones, looks like they had a meal yesterday, at least the food was gone and there is no other tank mates, but today no reaction to the food
Stability of filtering and good water quality it is the key to keep for fish, the fish is not each genera are greedy. At present there are food, as long as constipation, let them self slowly to adapt to more reliable.
Hoffmann

Post by Hoffmann »

So my L240´s is now eating good, all in good condition :) now to the breeding part. How do i get these babies going? i have a strong filtration with a hmf spungewall and a 2.500Lph powerhead. also added a 10.000lph wave maker to get the water flowing really good. my female is about 20 cm long and my male is about 18 cm. i have caves with front entrance and side entrance, my female is FAT as hell, looks like she is going to burst soon.

So i need some help getting my babies going guys :) any pointers?:)
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Have you read the breeding report ("BLOG") on file here? L240 BLOG of Cristoffer Forssander

Also, you can read this thread: Breeding Leporacanthicus sp. cf galaxias L-240

Finally, have you tried searching the forums using keywords like L240 and spawned? ...www.planetcatfish.com/forum/search.php? ... 40+spawned...

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Good luck with the breeding project, and pleased to hear they are now eating, sometimes it takes some time for them to adjust to new surroundings.
Thanks Teresa
Hoffmann

Post by Hoffmann »

Thanx guys, I've been reeding cristoffer forssanders report earlyer bot looking for some pointers on how to decorate the tank, what caves they like, how to simulate dry/wet periods in the right way for these fish etc.

Found that the problem with my tank was ammonia in the water, it came and went all the time, the used sand was the problem, propably contained a lot of dead snails (what i could see) and maby old food etc. changed the tank to BB and the problem was gone.

my large feemale is now constantly in the cave and will not come out to eat, at least not at the day, maby she is eating when the lights go off.

wil keep an update on how its going with breeding these fish :)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”