cohabition mystus/corydoras/hara

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
kiwidu21
My cats species list: 20 (i:4, k:5)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:17)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: France
Location 2: Côte D'Or

cohabition mystus/corydoras/hara

Post by kiwidu21 »

Hello I have an tank of 160 l (42 gallons) with corydoras pygmaeus (13) and jerdoni hara (2). The cohabitation with mystus bimaculatus and synodontis lucipinnis it is possible ?
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: cohabition mystus/corydoras/hara

Post by naturalart »

S. lucipinnis is a tanganyikan sp. meaning is biologically a 'hardwater' fish. Assuming you have 'softer' water, I would rather consider an small west african riverine 'softwater' syno such as S. nigriventris, S. congicus or S. nigrita (dont know whats available in your area). Riverine species fit more the physiological type you already have.

I find it hard to see M. bimaculatus feeling threatened by your cories or J. hara. But the next question is will they get along well enough with a comparable sized syno?
kiwidu21

Post by kiwidu21 »

Thanks for your answer.
I have 4 synodontis nigriventris in another tank (with labeo frenatus , ghost tetra, Pangio oblonga , Peckoltia compta L134 and pimelodus pictus ) . May be M. bimaculatus will feel better in this tank (50 gallon) ? (Ph 6.5 )
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

I think you have plenty of bottom activity in your 50g. I would try a few S. nigriventris with M. bimaculatus in the 42g., if you are set on adding a syno. I'd be more cautious with the other synos I suggested. Not to say they are not worth the try.

For me, that would allow me to have a nice school of negriventris split between 2 tanks. And who know, maybe with the right combination you could get a spawn? :YMSMUG:

My apologies, but I am a syno nut.
kiwidu21

Post by kiwidu21 »

I think I'm going to reproduce my syno this summer because they are still young. I abandon the idea of syno in 42g , I would start a new tank later. If I understand M. bimaculatus will not eat my cory pygmaeus and H. jerdoni ?
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

I've never kept M. bimaculatus but check out the cat-elog. Sounds like and looks like this 3" fish would have too small a mouth for that job beyond its 'peaceful' nature. Now if it were successful in getting one in its mouth that may mean death to one or both parties involved. Both Erethistes and Corydoras have spines that they will erect when they feel threatened (obviously, Corydoras pygmaeus too a lesser extent). These spines could get caught in the larger fishes mouth, possibly causing the death of both fish. This is a worse case scenario. I think you are on the safe side, but maybe there is someone here who might have more direct experience.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”