That One Fish You Keep Trying

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

That One Fish You Keep Trying

Post by Taratron »

So last December I did my largest impulse buy to date, about 500 bucks for 4 L14 juvie plecos. They hadn't been with the wholesaler long but I was impulsive and wanted to order them before Christmas. They looked good but within a week had sunken bellies and weren't eating. Medication for parasites didn't help and they all died within a month.

Okay. Out of my control.

Then I got 4 more from another source, this one having had them for over a month, eating well on Repashy and frozen food. I got the last 4 they had. I'm sure you see where this is going.

But they did great! For about 2 months. Then one of the larger six inchers got pinned between some rocks and the glass and died. The second six incher and the two three inchers I moved to my 90 gallon. The small two are always hiding, but I'd see the large one out, which didn't seem good...and it wasn't, because though there were plenty of hiding spots and lots of food, I found him dead today.

It seemed I am not meant to keep this fish! But I tried, much to the pain of my wallet.

This has happened in the past with various woodcats (especially tatias) but never to the extent of price. Then again with the L14 I was on a timeline with the dam going up...

So what is the fish you keep trying to keep, that never makes it for you?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: That One Fish You Keep Trying

Post by bekateen »

Rubberlips... And more rubberlips. =((
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Re: That One Fish You Keep Trying

Post by catfishchaos »

I forget how many types of whiptails there are but... that many...
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...

Return to “Speak Easy”