Longest and most massive plecos?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
knifegill
My cats species list: 22 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Wa

Longest and most massive plecos?

Post by knifegill »

It's been a few years. I was trying to remember but the drawers in my mind are rusted shut. What species hold the records for most massive and longest pleco species? Titanic and Hystrix?
An opportunity to routinely impose a statement... I'll pass. ;)
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Re: Longest and most massive plecos?

Post by catfishchaos »

I think the acanthicus group has it for length and over all size and Panaque probably get the award for most watermelon like and can certainly obtain an impressive size.
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Post by Acanthicus »

Hi

Acanthicus adonis is the largest, currently known species, reaching up to 120 cm. Megalancistrus are close, but Rhinelepis get even longer, P. schaeferi is the biggest Panaque reaching almost the same size as P. histrix which grow up to 100 cm.
Daniel
knifegill
My cats species list: 22 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Wa

Post by knifegill »

Awesome!
I just bought Acanthicus Hystrix, the actual giant often mistaken for A. Adonis. Got a 370g for now, will upgrade with the living room remodel.
An opportunity to routinely impose a statement... I'll pass. ;)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”