Asian bumblebee appetite?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Dimidiata
My cats species list: 7 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Palmetto, FL
Location 2: United States

Asian bumblebee appetite?

Post by Dimidiata »

I've had this dude in the 47gal column for a few weeks now, he's not shy at all but Ive been wondering if I need to pull my Odessa Barb's before he gets the midnight munchies. I feed him twice a day, in the AM and I throw in some sinking pellets at night for him.
IMG_20180804_144600.jpg
Narelle
I've donated: $44.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:4, k:4)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:38)
My Wishlist: 133
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Texas
Location 2: USA

Re: Asian bumblebee appetite?

Post by Narelle »

My full grown P. siamensis has always been maintained with tiger barbs without issue. They are not as much mouth for their size as some other cats and if kept well fed should have no reason to bother appropriately sized tankmates. In my opinion, their predatory behavior is often grossly overstated where discussed in most other corners of the internet. So in my opinion your odessas should be just fine with one.

I feed mine only once a day with fast days and he doesn't bother tankmates.

(I would also suggest an upgrade in the future if you can. Mine is in a 150g standard, a 6ft tank, and uses every inch of it. They really appreciate the room to move.)
Huge fan and collector of Bagrid catfishes.
Graduate student, studying systematic ichthyology.
Dimidiata
My cats species list: 7 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Palmetto, FL
Location 2: United States

Re: Asian bumblebee appetite?

Post by Dimidiata »

Yeah I think he's eating the von rips but those are small tetra. The tank he's in is actually specifically designed for him. Lots of caves and spaces to explore. Still I have a 75 that I might move him into shortly. I'd rather have some anchor cats and other small/sedentary species. He can certainly move!
IMG_20180814_114334.jpg
IMG_20180722_195331.jpg

Return to “Asian Catfishes”