Identify my new pleco collection

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Yourivsnl
Location 1: Eindhoven
Location 2: The Netherlands

Identify my new pleco collection

Post by Yourivsnl »

Hello,

I bought a week ago an aquarium with a big collection of pleco. The old owner could'nt tell me the exact names and L-numbers.
I tried to identify them but the differences are small, especially without any knowledge about them.

I guess this is a L144.

L181?

L103?

Unknown

There are more than 5 of these small ones, maybe a mix of the L144 and the picture above this one?

These two look like L400 or L401.

Hopefully someone can makes things more clear, thanks in advance.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Identify my new pleco collection

Post by bekateen »

Hello Yourivsnl,

Welcome to Planetcatfish!

I'll do my best to help with IDs.
Yourivsnl wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 13:20
I guess this is a L144.
L181?
Hypancistrus. Possibly
L103?
Hypancistrus, possibly
Unknown
Long-fin common bristlenose,
There are more than 5 of these small ones, maybe a mix of the L144 and the picture above this one?
Short-fin common bristlenose,
Yes, these could be hybrid fry from the brown long-fin fish (female, assuming she's large enough to breed) and the albino dark-eyed fish (male).
These two look like L400 or L401.
If you don't know the source of these fish, or whether they're wild caught or captive bred (and possibly hybrids of two similar species), ID'ing them can be a horrible task. But your guesses are plausible. The fish don't look very big, and in my experience the appearance changes a lot as they age, so I'm not certain.

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 88
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Re: Identify my new pleco collection

Post by Acanthicus »

Hi,

I agree with Eric concerning the Ancistrus. The first Hypancistrus (assumed L 181) is Hypancistrus margaritatus (L 404). The second one (assumed L 103) is a Hypancistrus from the Xingu River, possibly L 333. The two last ones reminded me of the first presentation of L 399 and L 400, which were shown in an almost identical way in the magazine, but obviously thats of no matter here. I guess both are L 400, definitely not L 401.
Daniel

Return to “What is my catfish?”