Starting a fishroom

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
OregonOutdoorsChris
My images: 3
My cats species list: 21 (i:11, k:11)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:10)
My BLogs: 5 (i:20, p:293)
My Wishlist: 47
Location 1: Portland, Oregon
Location 2: USA

Re: Starting a fishroom

Post by OregonOutdoorsChris »

Nothing too remarkable today. Everything is holding. So I went ahead with moving the juvenile pictus cats into the 60 breeder, along with all their hardscape and filter to bring all the beneficial bacteria over from their previous holding tank.
I'm feeling I went a little heavy with the gravel, so I may have to devote some time to thinning that out.
OregonOutdoorsChris

The absolutely insane growth plant growth is really making me wish I still had male/female pair of Tatia reticulata.
PXL_20220621_045251440.jpg
I could only image that the egg scatterers would really appreciate that thick mat of Riccia fluitans. Not to mention the roots from the emergent plants. But I'm sticking with perugiae for now.

Fyi, impatiens seem to do extremely well growing out of fish tanks, imo, they put pothos to shame.
OregonOutdoorsChris

I'm looking for input on how to improve the setup of my P. pictus tank.

Here's what they currently have...
Normally the tank just receives ambient room light, but extra illumination was temporarily added for taking this video.
Along the front, the 1200gph pump helped sort the substrate by size from pebbles to sand. Which is the one bit I'm pretty happy with.

Otherwise, most of the hardscape is odds and ends I had just laying around. The clay tubes and coconut hut are obviously not to these cats' taste and will be removed eventually. But even the slate caves aren't being heavily utilized, and everyone fights over the one overhand on the far right side of the tank.

Should I get some more slate and try to make more overhangs?
Any other thoughts on what sort of structure might make them feel more comfortable?
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 78
My cats species list: 125 (i:37, k:52)
My aquaria list: 30 (i:13)
My BLogs: 36 (i:125, p:1867)
My Wishlist: 39
Spotted: 151
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

If they are avoiding the other slate hides, then there might be something better about that spot which is related to current, lighting, width of open space, or distance (as far as possible?) from people looking at them (but based on the angle of this photo, I think the latter is not a problem).

Now that the sand is sorted, maybe redirect the water pump to flow higher in the water column, not so close to sand. That will calm the current at sand level and may make the fish more comfortable. Also, maybe add a literal tangle of branches?

Cheers, Eric
http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1
Would you like to buy my fish? Click HERE for prices.
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves is now sponsoring Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
OregonOutdoorsChris

Thank you for the input. You've given me a bit to think about.

During that pondering I decided to setup a camera to figure out what are they doing when I'm not around.

In the dark of night, naturally, they're far more active.
Even in the bright day light, they do seem to use more of the tank than I ever suspected... so long as no one is around.
It seems like maybe a significant factor is that they are in fact hiding from me.
characinkid
I've donated: $11.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:3, k:6)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:99)
My Wishlist: 6
Spotted: 6
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Post by characinkid »

I've always liked pictus, great fish when kept in a group, and yours look really healthy. If it were me, Id remove about 50% of the large caves to make much more room for them to swim and then add a couple of branches to the tank to make it a little more natural.
Great tank and project.
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
naturalart
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 30 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 4
Location 2: Oakland, California
Interests: catfish

Post by naturalart »

Pictus are great 'day active' catfish. A fish I will own at some point. I like my tanks more 'natural' so I would ditch the square stuff and create some overhangs with some larger pieces of driftwood. And try to grow some anubis or Javamoss on the wood which could create some overhangs also. I would create more open ground for swimming. And from my eye the current definitely has something to do with it. It appears they like it. But I would reduce the flow just a tad, and observe for positive or negative reactions. My 2¢