Giraffe catfish.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Giraffe catfish.

Post by jscoggs27 »

How big a tank wuld I need to keep a giraffe catfish. Are they better singly or in small groups? Is it possible to keep one with my C Batrachus? I know they grow pretty big but how big can they be expected to grow in a tank,
I kept a dwarf giraffe cat sometime ago with a clarius without problems but this one is a bit more evil than the last. I dont really want to mix african with asian but as we keep mentioning the asian cats are in such short supply.

Thanks

jason
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

This should answer all your questions:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/1999-10.htm
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Many different species are sold under the name "giraffe cat". Do you know which one you have? If not, can you post a pic?

Thanks,
Dinyar
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

If it's Auchenoglanis occidentalis, I wouldn't try keeping one with a Clarias. Giraffe cats are very peaceful and easily terrorised by an aggressive fish, which Clarias certainly are. I had problems keeping my giraffe with a Hemibagrus nemurus for this reason.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Re: Giraffe catfish.

Post by coelacanth »

jscoggs27 wrote:How big a tank wuld I need to keep a giraffe catfish. Are they better singly or in small groups? I know they grow pretty big but how big can they be expected to grow in a tank
They should be expected to grow to the same size as they would in nature. The only thing that restricts the adult size of captive fish is poor husbandry.
As a minimum that should be considered, the aquarium for a fairly peaceful fish like this should be at least three times the maximum potential size in length, and at least 1.5 times this size in every other dimension. so for a fish that has been known to reach around 1 metre in length, this should be 3 metres by 1.5 metres by 1.5 metres, preferably much larger.
Another fish that isn't really suitable for the home aquarium IMO.
Pete
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

They also grow very quickly.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
nolan
Location 1: west sussex uk

Post by nolan »

They are very quiet fish and grow large. mine grew at around 1-2 inches a month in the first year and was around 18". It feeds on lance fish and big pellets and other frozen live foods. they are not suitable for the general community but could be kept with large peaceful fish mine lived with a shovel nose (S.lima) quite happily along with my eel. the girrafe cat grew to around 26" inches and unfortunatley died. post mortem revealed a massive tumor in the stomach which had prevented it from digesting the food properly.
you need a tank of 6x2x2 as an absolute minimum even for a youngster as they grow fast and dont respond well to being moved around too much. effecient filtration is a must.
they are in my opininon a much better choice if you want on of the larger catfish as they dont grow as large as the red tails and such like. they shovel around gravel and sand through there gills and keeping them in a decrative aquarium is all but imposible.
they grow to around 39" in the wild easily and can achieve this in captivity if they have enough space.
i dont know if they are a social fish as they are seldom kept in groups because of there large size.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

thanks

Post by jscoggs27 »

thanks to all for your input. I dont think I will be getting one but having had a dwarf variety before I was looking at the possibility. They are great fish the ones I have seen are very active and sociable. I couldnt put such a fish with my clarius I think.
But on a lighter note. I have atte,pted to put a small pleco with my clarius and... surprise surprise the two get on marvelously well. no one was as surprised as me. I was planning to move the pleco to another tank but as they seem inseperable I think ill leave them together. for a while at least. If I can ever afford a second big tank ( and the space) I would consider the possibility of keeping a giraffe cat.
thanks
jason
PeacockBass
Location 1: the Net
Interests: Fish,Girls,Competition,Games

Post by PeacockBass »

they are slow growing compaired to SA pims.
Youenn
Location 1: Paris, France
Interests: African and neotropical catfish

Post by Youenn »

Hi,

I kept 3 A. occidentalis, 15 cm SL, with Synodontis species and Haplochromis sp.. These fish are very peacefull and all stay together all the time. I didn't have any problems with them.

Return to “African Catfishes”