Deformed pleco possibly egg bound what to do?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Deformed pleco possibly egg bound what to do?

Post by Woodh »

Got a L397 that always looked wrong and it's clearly not breeding material so I keep it isolated from the group in a community tank.

Lately it has gotten very, very fat. I doubt it's a feeding issue cause I only feed during the day and for the most part look at the tank while fish are eating and she never comes out.

Starting to suspect it might be eggbound but since I absolutely don't wan't it to breed what are my options? Considering trying to put it with a male in a smaller tank for some days and then discard any eggs, any other options you guys could think of?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Deformed pleco possibly egg bound what to do?

Post by Jools »

It could also be a gut disorder - maybe stop feeding for a 2 or 3 weeks? It wouldn't harm an egg-bound fish, as nutrition is unavailable to make eggs.

Jools
Koi-fantast
My cats species list: 29 (i:1, k:0)
My BLogs: 15 (i:2, p:582)
Spotted: 12
Location 2: Sverige

Post by Koi-fantast »

I d say most of this issues dont conclude genetic issues. Its mostly water and food issues from bred. Some strains with others have been bred for like 50 years and are still going strong.
Woodh

Post by Woodh »

Jools wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 14:52 It could also be a gut disorder - maybe stop feeding for a 2 or 3 weeks? It wouldn't harm an egg-bound fish, as nutrition is unavailable to make eggs.

Jools
This is what I am trying, I placed the fish in a temporar tank of it's own and fasting it, not seeing much difference so far(maybe a little) but has only been in there for 4 days~.
Woodh

Post by Woodh »

Koi-fantast wrote: 05 Nov 2022, 19:13 I d say most of this issues dont conclude genetic issues. Its mostly water and food issues from bred. Some strains with others have been bred for like 50 years and are still going strong.
The fish is deformed, it got a "caved in" head and is slightly bent but seems to be happy otherwise and it has been that way since it was large enough to tell. The siblings/rest of the group seems perfectly normal looking and healthy so I guess there is just something going on with that particular fish but I am trying to source other adults for future breeding projects.

Got 3 spawns of them currently but fry/juveniles are still to young to tell if they look as they should, have separated the males and females(I hope haha) for now and the deformed one has not been with them while they bred so I hope it works out.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”