Microsatellite distribution and Trachelyopterus diversity

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Microsatellite distribution and Trachelyopterus diversity

Post by Silurus »

Haerter CAG, DR Blanco, JB Traldi, E Feldberg, VP Margarido & RL Lui, 2023. Are scattered microsatellites weak chromosomal markers? Guided mapping reveals new insights into Trachelyopterus (Siluriformes: Auchenipteridae) diversity. PLoS ONE 18(6): e0285388.

Abstract

The scattered distribution pattern of microsatellites is a challenging problem in fish cytogenetics. This type of array hinders the identification of useful patterns and the comparison between species, often resulting in over-limited interpretations that only label it as "scattered" or "widely distributed". However, several studies have shown that the distribution pattern of microsatellites is non-random. Thus, here we tested whether a scattered microsatellite could have distinct distribution patterns on homeologous chromosomes of closely related species. The clustered sites of 18S and 5S rDNA, U2 snRNA and H3/H4 histone genes were used as a guide to compare the (GATA)n microsatellite distribution pattern on the homeologous chromosomes of six Trachelyopterus species: T. coriaceus and Trachelyopterus aff. galeatus from the Araguaia River basin; T. striatulus, T. galeatus and T. porosus from the Amazonas River basin; and Trachelyopterus aff. coriaceus from the Paraguay River basin. Most species had similar patterns of the (GATA)n microsatellite in the histone genes and 5S rDNA carriers. However, we have found a chromosomal polymorphism of the (GATA)n sequence in the 18S rDNA carriers of Trachelyopterus galeatus, which is in Hard-Weinberg equilibrium and possibly originated through amplification events; and a chromosome polymorphism in Trachelyopterus aff. galeatus, which combined with an inversion polymorphism of the U2 snRNA in the same chromosome pair resulted in six possible cytotypes, which are in Hardy-Weinberg disequilibrium. Therefore, comparing the distribution pattern on homeologous chromosomes across the species, using gene clusters as a guide to identify it, seems to be an effective way to further the analysis of scattered microsatellites in fish cytogenetics.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”