Thermal tolerance polygons for Corydoras paleatus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Thermal tolerance polygons for Corydoras paleatus

Post by bekateen »

In these forums, we've discussed tolerance polygons for fish several times over the years. Here's an example:

Conte, M., de Campos, D. F., & Eme, J. (2023). Effective practices for thermal tolerance polygon experiments using mottled catfish Corydoras paleatus. Journal of Thermal Biology, 103616.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtherbio.2023.103616
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 523001572/
Highlights
  • This study provides researchers with guidelines to determine fish species' thermal niches.
  • are eurythermal and were acclimated for ∼2 weeks between 7. → 32 °C.
  • Slopes of tolerance gained through thermal acclimation at 3, 4, 5 or 6 acclimation temperatures were statistically similar.
  • We demonstrate that 3 acclimation temperatures spread out across a species' thermal range are sufficient to create a full thermal tolerance polygon.
Abstract
Temperature is an important environmental factor that affects how organisms allocate metabolic resources to physiological processes. Laboratory experiments that determine absolute thermal limits for representative species are important for understanding how fishes are affected by climate change. Critical Thermal Methodology (CTM) and Chronic Lethal Methodology (CLM) experiments were utilized to construct a complete thermal tolerance polygon for the South American fish species, Mottled catfish (). Mottled catfish showed Chronic Lethal Maximums (CLMax) of 34.9 ± 0.52 °C and Chronic Lethal Minimums (CLMin) of 3.8 ± 0.08 °C. Fish were chronically acclimated (∼2 weeks) to 6 temperatures ranging from 7.2 ± 0.05 °C →32.2 ± 0.16 °C (7 °C, 12 °C, 17 °C, 22 °C, 27 °C, and 32 °C), and CTM used to estimate upper and lower acute temperature tolerance. Linear regressions of Critical Thermal Maximum (CTMax) and Minimum (CTMin) data with each acclimation temperature were used along with CLMax and CLMin to create a complete thermal tolerance polygon. The highest CTMax was 38.4 ± 0.60 °C for fish acclimated to 32.2 ± 0.16 °C, and the lowest CTMin was 3.36 ± 1.84 °C for fish acclimated to 7.2 ± 0.05 °C. Mottled catfish have a polygon measuring 785.7°C2, and the slope of the linear regressions showed the species gained 0.55 °C and 0.32 °C of upper and lower tolerance per degree of acclimation temperature, respectively. We compared slopes of CTMax or CTMin regression lines to each other using a set of comparisons between 3, 4, 5, or 6 acclimation temperatures. Our data demonstrated that 3 acclimation temperatures were as sufficient as 4 → 6 to pair with estimates of chronic upper and lower thermal limits for accurately determining a complete thermal tolerance polygon. Construction of this species' complete thermal tolerance polygon provides a template for other researchers. The following is sufficient to generate a complete thermal tolerance polygon: Three chronic acclimation temperatures that are spread somewhat evenly across a species’ thermal range, include an estimation of CLMax and CLMin, and are followed by CTMax and CTMin measurements.
Keywords: Acclimation, Cessation of eating, Climate change, Critical thermal tolerance, Fish, Physiology, South America, Temperature
Attachments
Fig. 1. Full CTM-Polygon for the Mottled Catfish (Corydoras paleatus). The simple linear regression of the grand mean values of CTMax (●) and CTMin (●) trials are represented and have 95% confidence intervals for error bars. The acquired tolerance zones (triangles), intrinsic tolerance zones (rectangle) and the total polygon area (whole quadrilateral) are also shown. The CLMax (△) and CLMin (△) trials are illustrated on the upper and lower ends of the regression lines. The cessation of eating (COE) is also illustrated toward the ends of the regression lines COEMax (□) and COEMin (□).
Fig. 1. Full CTM-Polygon for the Mottled Catfish (Corydoras paleatus). The simple linear regression of the grand mean values of CTMax (●) and CTMin (●) trials are represented and have 95% confidence intervals for error bars. The acquired tolerance zones (triangles), intrinsic tolerance zones (rectangle) and the total polygon area (whole quadrilateral) are also shown. The CLMax (△) and CLMin (△) trials are illustrated on the upper and lower ends of the regression lines. The cessation of eating (COE) is also illustrated toward the ends of the regression lines COEMax (□) and COEMin (□).
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Thermal tolerance polygons for Corydoras paleatus

Post by Bas Pels »

Odd that accimatizing to 32 C added 5.5 C to their range, w=hile 7 C gave only 0,5 C

Is it that lower temperatures are harder to adapt to or would something else be the explanation

Still, 3.4 C is a temperature a deep tank can provide all winter. Apparently C paleatus is winterhardy indeed.
cats have whiskers

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”