Epidermal modifications in Erethistes hara

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Epidermal modifications in Erethistes hara

Post by Silurus »

Arunima, U Kumari, S Mittal & AK Mittal, 2023. Epidermal modifications in a hill stream catfish, Hara hara in relation to its natural habitat: A scanning electron microscope and histochemical investigation. Journal of Morphology 284: e21615.

Abstract

In the present study, the epidermis of the hill stream fish Hara hara has been investigated employing scanning electron microscope, histology, histochemistry and immunofluorescence techniques. The epidermis is characteristically differentiated into plaques separated from each other by deep furrows. In plaques, the epidermis is keratinized. In contrast, in furrows, it is mucogenic. Surface epithelial cells in plaques get modified into characteristic spine‐like unculi. At the distal ends of these unculi, we find tree‐like branched dendritic structures. The keratinized epithelial cells in plaques together with unculi frequently exfoliate at the surface. The epidermis in furrows is equipped with secretory glandular cells, that is, mucous goblet cells, sacciform cells and club cells; and sensory structures, that is, the taste buds. These glandular cells are involved in the elaboration of different types of carbohydrate and protein moieties. Further, in the epidermis of both, plaques and furrows, melanophores are frequently interspersed between the epithelial cells. In the plaque epidermis, in addition to melanophores, melanin granules are observed in epithelial cells undergoing keratinization as well as in those sloughing at the surface. Sloughing of keratinized epithelial cells together with spine‐like unculi at the surface of the plaques; the secretions of the glandular cells, the distribution of melanophore and the taste buds interspersed between the epithelial cells and the presence of melanin granules in the keratinized epithelial cells have been associated with different functional roles. These include hydrodynamic advantage, protection from mechanical stress, pathogens, UV radiation, localization of food accurately and so on in relation to the natural habitat of the fish.
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Re: Epidermal modifications in Erethistes hara

Post by Acanthicus »

Hi,

if anybody has a pdf of this already, I'd highly appreciate a copy.
Daniel

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”