Brigs fishing Team

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Brigs fishing Team

Post by Shane »

This young man (Brigs?) posts You Tube videos of himself collecting exotic tropical fish in ponds and ditches in Florida. A video came up today on my Facebook feed showing him collecting Pangasius (adults and juveniles) as well as a Synodontis sp and a Pseudomystus sp. Was anyone aware of these catfishes living in Florida?

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Brigs fishing Team

Post by bekateen »

That's news to me, but with all the fish farms and the good weather to support fish released by civilians, I'm not surprised.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:8)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:3, p:148)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Post by characinkid »

Ive watched a few of these, usually interesting. You might find this one interesting, especially around the 15 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvo_ydIkSpo
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

I get that many of these are escapee populations from fish farms and that he may catch the occasional fish released by irresponsible aquarists... But L330? Can't see someone dumping a fish that expensive and they are not captive bred in Florida fish farms.
It's a shame his collecting techniques are so rudimentary. It would be interesting to use much finer nets to collect fry and get an idea as to which fishes are actually reproducing. He is also causing a lot of unnecessary damage to the fishes.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I'd like to believe the catches are genuine and these tropicals do live and can survive in these warm cushy sewers and wells in good water, teeming with good food, and where our cold spells can't get to them as they do in the unprotected outdoors (where vast majority of tropicals die off here in FL in longer and colder spells), and that these fish do not live in complete darkness all their lives and lose all their color and come out in Florida sunshine in warmer season or catch enough sun through the city sewer grills. I'd not be surprised if it wasn't quite as depicted for every fish featured.

I know for a fact big Youtubers plant or stage catches, I've rubbed elbows with them, it's a no-brainer. Not at all saying this one does it, however seeing every thumbnail fake and desperately click baited doesn't instill confidence. They do produce an entertaining content worth watching sometimes though, I enjoy watching some of it.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Shane wrote: 02 Aug 2023, 14:48 ... It would be interesting to use much finer nets to collect fry and get an idea as to which fishes are actually reproducing.
-Shane
On average, to a more serious fish head, yes, I'd agree. To an average viewer of his content, it'd be simply boring and they'd watch a different youtuber and he'd lose viewership and ad earnings. What he has been doing obviously has been working wonderfully for him in terms or fame and income, no need to change this.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Found that his actual LLC is registered in Delrey Beach, so he is not far from you Viktor.

Also found this
https://www.cruisingfreedom.com/bass-fi ... oductions/

"Bass Fishing Productions has come under intense social media controversy for their fake ‘pet store dumpster rescue’ stunts.

While viewers believe that Bobby and his crew are rescuing thrown-out fish, it appears that Bobby previously bought these to stage a ‘rescue’ and essentially faking the whole thing.

These staged ‘rescues’ ultimately go viral, earning Bobby a ton of clicks, views and ultimately revenue from YouTube.

And his loyal fans believe the stunt 100%!

It’s an incredible strategy…until you’re busted for it!"

No idea if this means he plants fishes he "captures" in the wild as well. As you noted, he is certainly making good money either way.

-Shane
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you, Shane. Yes, there is a lot of such youtubers on the south-eastern coast of FL.

Activity like that can be harmful by creating in the minds of many people (some of them related to government, e.g., some of them government officials' children, some of them Florida Wildlife Commission employees) that the Florida pet fish industry is full of incompetent or careless people dumping a ton of exotics into and destroying the wild / outdoors.

Such negative falsifying efforts (even if fake, in the end no one would care fake or real) add their share to an overall push to the ultimate goal of Australian scenario. In other words, such videos laying the ground for a denial of our fish-keeping freedom literally now, as we speak, and surely more to come in the future.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Speak Easy”