Tips on spawning C. musaica?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Fallen_Leaves16
My cats species list: 30 (i:15, k:16)
Spotted: 34
Location 1: Charlotte, NC
Location 2: United States of America

Tips on spawning C. musaica?

Post by Fallen_Leaves16 »

Basically the title. Thought I had a 3.0 group, turns out it was a 2.1. Been trying to spawn them for a while now, with little success. The male? chases the female and nips at her anal fin (might be the other way around) and they rapidly encircle one another for a while before breaking away from one another and resuming their daily woodcat duties (which hardly amounts to anything in the first place). Some scarring is noticeable, but it heals within a day or two and never seems to be serious. Heavily doubt that it's aggression. Usually seems to happen ~20mins after a good meal at around ~12:30AM. The female is clearly gravid- extremely fat and round, even long after the last meal. Males are not very consistent in weight, but only one (larger one) seems to try and initiate a spawn. Have tried most things- cold water changes, warm water changes, water changes with RO/DI, water changes with straight tap, water changes with rainwater on a stormy evening after a big meal, and various combinations of the "triggers" listed. Nothing yet; the times they engage in the possible pre-spawning activity is also very inconsistent. Water params are: ~78F, TDS-130, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ~20 nitrate. Peaceful community 75G with the focus being some misc. loricariids and woodcats. Moved them there after I didn't expect any spawning from them (thought they were all males somehow, even during the transfer), and now hesitant to move them again in case they still might spawn in the larger tank. Surprised there aren't many spawning reports; they don't seem very difficult to find or spawn, and I have heard that several people succeeded with the endeavor.
Any advice?
Will have to dig up some photos; don't think I have any clear recent images of them.
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably some sort of mutated goose, in today's day and age..."
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:8)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:3, p:148)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Re: Tips on spawning C. musaica?

Post by characinkid »

I was hoping that you were going to give tips if spawning them when I read the title initially!!
Sounds like you are trying all the usual things. The only thing I might suggest is multiple water changes on consecutive days. For example my T gyrina spawned after I changed 25% water daily for 3 days in a row.
What are you feeding them?
Good luck and let us know how you do.
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
Fallen_Leaves16

Thanks! For some reason, images aren't loading for me when trying to post, but I think that's an issue on my part. Will try continuous water changes- honestly, I think I might as well just move the trio into a heavily-filtered 10G sometime in the next couple of months to try and get successful spawns- I kinda hate trying to spawn fish in communities because it gets so irritating to try and get a singular species to do this or that, and changing one variable meant for that said species changes it for every other fish.
They are currently being fed f/t bloodworms and brine shrimp, sometimes bits and pieces of silverside they rip apart and krill (both very occasional). Used to feed blackworms, but they've gotten far too difficult to find and expensive to boot. Should probably try pellets one of these days; I'd think they'd eat them, but I haven't verified. They don't show much interest in Northfin Carnivore. Thinking of adding a few more females to my group, but not certain yet. Got a decent thing going on with my current trio, don't want to risk upsetting everything.
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably some sort of mutated goose, in today's day and age..."
JohannesH
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:11)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: Sandnes
Location 2: Sandnes

Post by JohannesH »

Heard that at least one other person had biggest success in a pair instead of for example a trio or a group, I have not spawned these myself. But from what i heard a pair was the largest success. Otherwise I think you are doing everything right. Take it wit a grain of salt but thats what i heard from a breeder that had good sucess.
Fallen_Leaves16

I'm stupid #-O
Completely misunderstood how images were supposed to be posted... Anyways, here's some pics of the various fish.
Screenshot 2023-08-28 10.58.03 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-28 10.58.37 AM.png
Fatter one is the female; other one is the male; modified anal fin is visible in the image of the male.
I swear I had more pics than this, but I somehow can't find them. Will try to get more pics tonight when I feed the lot some bloodworms.
Fallen_Leaves16

JohannesH wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 15:53 Heard that at least one other person had biggest success in a pair instead of for example a trio or a group, I have not spawned these myself. But from what i heard a pair was the largest success. Otherwise I think you are doing everything right. Take it wit a grain of salt but thats what i heard from a breeder that had good sucess.
Thanks! There's actually only two fish that I think are attempting to initiate the spawn- the larger, rounder male and the only female. I guess I'll isolate the other male, though I'd feel better placing that 'un in a group with others... maybe a reason to get some more /:)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”