New ariid classification

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

New ariid classification

Post by Silurus »

Marceniuk, AP, C Oliveira & CJ Ferraris Jr. 2023. A new classification of the family Ariidae (Osteichthyes: Ostariophysi: Siluriformes) based on combined analyses of morphological and molecular data. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, zlad078.

Abstract

We present a new classification of the catfish family Ariidae based on a total-evidence hypothesis, which incorporates data from the examination of 249 morphological and 5603 molecular characters from 131 species. The named taxa in the proposed classification represent groups of species found in the Maximum Parsimony, Maximum Likelihood, and Bayesian Inference analyses or, in some cases, two of the three methods. Each named taxon is provided with a diagnosis derived from a comprehensive summary of the morphological characters and their character-state transformations, as interpreted from the most parsimonious version of the total-evidence tree. Taxa newly named herein are: Cathoropsini, new tribe; Genidentini, new tribe; Sciadeini, new tribe; Aceroichthys, new genus (type species Arius dioctes Kailola, 2000); Bleekeriella, new genus (type species Arius leptaspis Bleeker, 1862); Betancurichthys, new genus (type species Arius madagascariensis Vaillant, 1894); Jayaramichthys, new genus (type species Arius leptonotacanthus Bleeker, 1849); Kyataphisa, new genus (type species Pimelodus nenga Hamilton, 1822); Megalosciades, new genus (type species Arius augustus Roberts, 1978); Paracinetodus, new genus (type species Arius carinatus Weber, 1913); Papuarius, new genus (type species Arius latirostris Macleay, 1883); and Pseudosciades, new genus (type species Arius sona Hamilton, 1822). A key to the genera of Ariidae is presented.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Re: New ariid classification

Post by Shovelnose »

A copy if possible HH.

Thanks,
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”