Sexing Corydoras cervinus?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Fallen_Leaves16
My cats species list: 30 (i:15, k:16)
Spotted: 34
Location 1: Charlotte, NC
Location 2: United States of America

Sexing Corydoras cervinus?

Post by Fallen_Leaves16 »

Sorry about posting another one of those (probably) pesky "Help with sexing?" posts. Hope it isn't too much of a bother.

LFS had a group of six "Corydoras ceruinus" (handwritten tag)- couldn't recognize the name, they looked unusual, and weren't pricey- and for only $15 per fish, you bet I'm gonna get some! Anyways, when I returned home and did a wee bit of digging, I found them to be C. cervinus, not "ceruinus". Glad I picked up a few, as apparently they aren't too common. LFS had 6, but two were rather unhealthy, with oddly concave bellies and wobbly swimming patterns; they let me pick out which fish I wanted and so I just chose the four healthiest ones (was intending on getting at least a pair, but threw that plan out the window as they weren't easy to sex). I guess I'll go back for the other two if they're still alive by the end of this week. To be honest, I thought they were some weird-looking Scleromystax- quite stupid of me, in hindsight, but to be completely fair I'm not too good with ID'ing cories (or most fish in general, for that matter).
Anyways, they seem to have settled well into a QT tank. They don't seem very stressed, thankfully.
I do think that all four are males, though; would like verification- though I'd expect some time in captivity and lots of food will provide a better answer. I think they've buddied up with the two CW102 in the tank with them (do need to get some more of them; they're just so difficult to find!) as I occasionally see one or two following them around.
Screenshot 2023-08-28 12.31.09 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-28 12.31.53 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-28 12.32.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-28 12.35.58 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-28 12.35.16 PM.png
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably some sort of mutated goose, in today's day and age..."

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”