Freshwater fishes of Uruguay

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Freshwater fishes of Uruguay

Post by bekateen »

Loureiro, M, González-Bergonzoni, I, & F Teixeira de Mello. (2023). Freshwater Fish from Uruguay. Second edition. Vertebrate Zoology Laboratory, Faculty of Sciences, University of the Republic. 192 pp.

Loureiro, M, González-Bergonzoni, I, & F Teixeira de Mello. (2023). Peces de Agua Dulce de Uruguay. Segunda Edición. Laboratorio Zoología de Vertebrados, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de la República. 192 pp.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Llxs2 ... flqhJ/view
PREFACE
Diversity is one of the most notable characteristics of life. From genes to ecosystems, variability is one of the keys to the evolution and maintenance of life on the planet. That is why knowledge of this diversity is a key aspect to understanding the natural world and maintaining favorable environmental conditions so that the greatest number of forms of life (including human beings) can develop and perpetuate themselves over time.

In this publication we present a review of the distinctive characteristics, biology, diversity, distribution, conservation status and species composition of the freshwater fish genera recorded or observed in Uruguay so far. The inclusion criteria correspond to the presence of records supported by scientific collections in our country and the region, or unequivocal photographic records of their presence. In relation to the first edition of this book (Teixeira de Mello et al. 2011), we have incorporated all the species recorded so far, improved the quality of the photographs and added information (taxonomic keys) and images that help in the identification of the species. In addition, distribution and conservation status maps have been added for each of them.

As in all areas of knowledge, information evolves, which is why the species presented in this book are not the definitive ones and it is expected that their number will increase, both due to the discovery of new species for science and the registration of species. bordering species that had not been previously collected in our country. This dynamic can also result in the change of the generic identity of one or several species; some species may even cease to have scientific validity in light of new analyzes and revisions of taxonomic groups.

This publication is aimed at a diverse spectrum of readers, from those interested in learning about the different forms of life that inhabit our country, to more specialized readers such as undergraduate and graduate biology students, and researchers, who can take advantage of the more technical aspects of the work like the taxonomic keys provided here.

The edition of this book was partially financed by CSIC-Udelar through the Total Dedication item granted to ML, PEDECIBA and the National System of Researchers.

We thank the CARU Scientific Committee for allowing the taking of several photos during its 2022 sampling campaign.

Photos of fish and environments correspond to the authors, except where indicated. We thank all the people who have generously collaborated by providing photos of specimens; in particular Mark Sabaj, Luiz Malabarba, Liliana Ciotek, Pablo Giorgis, Patty Céspedes, Peter Petersen, Daniela Fuchs, Rodrigo Hirano, Edward Burress and Joaquín Pais. We also thank Mauricio Caligari and Weferson da Graça for their willingness to share their photos (they are for next time!).

Special thanks to José Bessonart, Diego Díaz, Danilo Díaz, Felipe Montenegro, Sofía Paullier, Verónica Pinelli, Lucía Rodríguez and Matías Zarucki, who gave a great hand with their excellent company in the photographic excursions of the last part of the preparation of the book.

The base map to show the distributions of the species was prepared by José Bessonart.

Marcelo Loureiro is Associate Professor of the Vertebrate Zoology Laboratory of the Faculty of Sciences, PEDECIBA Researcher and of the National System of Researchers. His research focuses on the Systematics and Biogeography of freshwater fish.

Iván González-Bergonzoni is an Adjunct Professor at the River Ecology Laboratory of the CENUR Litoral Norte, Paysandú headquarters. His research focuses on fish ecology and river ecosystems.

Franco Teixeira de Mello is Associate Professor of the Department of Ecology and Environmental Management of the Centro Universitario del Este, PEDECIBA Researcher and of the National System of Researchers. His research focuses on the ecology and biomonitoring of aquatic systems.
PREFACIO
La diversidad es una de las características más notorias de la vida. Desde los genes hasta los ecosistemas, la variabilidad es una de las claves para la evolución y mantenimiento de la vida en el planeta. Es por ello que el conocimiento de esta diversidad es un aspecto clave para entender el mundo natural y mantener las condiciones ambientales favorables para que la mayor cantidad de formas de vidas (incluidos los seres humanos) puedan desarrollarse y perpetuarse en el tiempo.

En esta publicación presentamos una revisión de las características distintivas, biología, diversidad, distribución, estado de conservación y composición de especies de los géneros de peces de agua dulce registrados u observadas en Uruguay hasta el momento. Los criterios de inclusión corresponden a la presencia de registros con respaldo en colecciones científicas de nuestro país y la región, o registros fotográficos inequívocos de su presencia. Con relación a la primera edición de este libro (Teixeira de Mello et al. 2011), hemos incorporado todas las especies registradas hasta el momento, mejorado la calidad de las fotografías y agregado información (claves taxonómicas) e imágenes que ayudan a la identificación de las especies. Además, se han agregado mapas de distribución y estado de conservación para cada una de ellas.

Como en todos los ámbitos del conocimiento la información evoluciona, es por esto que las especies presentadas en este libro no son las definitivas y es de esperarse que su número aumente, tanto por el descubrimiento de nuevas especies para la ciencia, como el registro de especies limítrofes que no habían sido colectadas previamente en nuestro país. Está dinámica también puede resultar en el cambio de la identidad genérica de una o varias especies, incluso algunas especies pueden dejar de tener validez científica a la luz de nuevos análisis y revisiones de los grupos taxonómicos.

Esta publicación está dirigida a un diverso espectro de lectores, desde los interesados en conocer las diferentes formas de vida que habitan nuestro país, hasta lectores más especializados como estudiantes de biología de grado y posgrado, e investigadores, quienes pueden aprovechar los aspectos más técnicos del trabajo como las claves taxonómicas que aquí se proveen.

La edición de este libro fue parcialmente financiada por CSIC-Udelar a través de la partida de Dedicación Total otorgada a ML, PEDECIBA y el Sistema Nacional de Investigadores.

Agradecemos al Comité Científico de CARU que permitió la toma de varias fotos durante su campaña de muestreos del año 2022.

Las fotos de los peces y ambientes corresponden a los autores, salvo donde indicado. Agradecemos a todas las personas que han colaborado generosamente aportando fotos de especímenes; en particular a Mark Sabaj, Luiz Malabarba, Liliana Ciotek, Pablo Giorgis, Patty Céspedes, Peter Petersen, Daniela Fuchs, Rodrigo Hirano, Edward Burress y Joaquín Pais. También agradecemos a Mauricio Caligari y Weferson da Graça por su disposición a compartir sus fotos (quedan para la próxima!).

Un agradecimiento especial a José Bessonart, Diego Díaz, Danilo Díaz, Felipe Montenegro, Sofía Paullier, Verónica Pinelli, Lucía Rodríguez y Matías Zarucki, quienes dieron una gran mano con su excelente compañía en las excursiones fotográficas del último tramo de la elaboración del libro.

El mapa de base para mostrar las distribuciones de las especies fue elaborado por José Bessonart.

Marcelo Loureiro es Profesor Agregado del Laboratorio de Zoología de Vertebrados de la Facultad de Ciencias, Investigador PEDECIBA y del Sistema Nacional de Investigadores. Sus investigaciones se centran en la Sistemática y Biogeografía de los peces de agua dulce.

Iván González-Bergonzoni es Profesor Adjunto del Laboratorio de Ecología Fluvial del CENUR Litoral Norte, sede Paysandú. Sus investigaciones se centran en ecología de peces y ecosistemas fluviales.

Franco Teixeira de Mello es Profesor Agregado del Departamento de Ecología y Gestión Ambiental del Centro Universitario del Este, Investigador PEDECIBA y del Sistema Nacional de Investigadores. Sus investigaciones se centran en la ecología y biomonitoreo de sistemas acuáticos.
Attachments
Sample page (CC BY NC SA)
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Freshwater fishes of Uruguay

Post by Bas Pels »

Thak you for this link. It's among the best presents I got this year
cats have whiskers

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”