Pleco suggestion for a small tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
dnulman
Location 1: Brooklyn
Location 2: New York

Pleco suggestion for a small tank

Post by dnulman »

I recently got the Fluval Flex 9 which is only 9 gallons. Some even consdier this a micro tank.

Looking for a good algea eater, don't like Chinese algea eaters, never had success with them.
I was thinking of a clown pleco or the Bristlenose as they stay small.

Tank mates with be a single pair of Apistogramma's haven't decided on the species yet.
Going with sand subtrate with a few areas of aquasoil, some rocks, caves, few plants and driftwood/twigs.

Any others I can consider?
Are there any that actually look nice and eat algea as well?
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Re: Pleco suggestion for a small tank

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
dnulman wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 14:55 I recently got the Fluval Flex 9 which is only 9 gallons. Some even consdier this a micro tank.

Looking for a good algea eater, don't like Chinese algea eaters, never had success with them.
I was thinking of a clown pleco or the Bristlenose as they stay small.

Tank mates with be a single pair of Apistogramma's haven't decided on the species yet.
Going with sand subtrate with a few areas of aquasoil, some rocks, caves, few plants and driftwood/twigs.

Any others I can consider?
Are there any that actually look nice and eat algea as well?
None of the fish you suggest are suitable for a tank of this size. You probably aren't going to like this, and I'm not trying to be difficult, but your post rings all sorts of alarm bells for me in terms of fish welfare.

The only algae eaters I could recommend would be shrimps and snails and any fish would need to be nano fish and which one would depend on your water, how hard it is etc.

cheers Darrel
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

I agree with Darrel. The tank size is really small for most plecos. I mean, you could consider , but in my experience a 10 gallon tank is already remarkably vulnerable to water chemistry swings and pollutants, so a 9 gallon tank would be more delicate. Also, I'm not sure if otos would go well with Apistos, since Apistos can get aggressive if they start breeding.

That said, the Ancistrus aff. bodenhameri (here they are listed as ) I have barely exceed 5cm SL, so a pair of them would do okay.... but they will poop a lot. They are imported from the Czech Republic if any of your LFS order from Petra Aqua. Again, I don't know how they'd do with Apistos, but they are a little bigger than otos.

Good luck!

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
dnulman

Post by dnulman »

Thanks bekateen, I assume these are smaller bristlenose species?
My LFS recommended only a Britlenose or Clown and from ym research on how large they typically get I would agree those are my best bets here.
I also read about the rubbernose as not getting too large, and love the idea they eat black algea as well.

Thanks for the advice.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

dnulman wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 09:13 Thanks bekateen, I assume these are smaller bristlenose species?
My LFS recommended only a Britlenose or Clown and from ym research on how large they typically get I would agree those are my best bets here.
I also read about the rubbernose as not getting too large, and love the idea they eat black algea as well.

Thanks for the advice.
Yes, the aff. bodenhameri are small, smaller than a clown pleco. But most LFS won't have these, they'll have common BNs, which get 4-5" long and will be far too big.

Rubberlips are a puzzle for me. I just got some to try again at keeping them, but in the past they've been impossible for me to keep alive.

Again, I think otos (or as Darrel said, shrimp) are your best idea.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Frankly, I wonder whether otos are an option

These are best kept in a group, and personally I never saw 2 doing fine - and 2 is the maximum I would put in a 9 US gallon = 35 liter tank

Shrimps or snails, that's it. I do have quite a few good algae eating snails.
cats have whiskers
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

[rubbernose as not getting too large, and love the idea they eat black algea as well]

Unfortunately Chaetostoma come from cool, rushing mountain streams while Apistos come from warm, quiet lowland creeks and backwaters. There is just no way to mix fishes from such radically different habitats in a small tank. Also, I have spawned several Chaetostoma spp and have never seen them eat black algae.

Agree with all that has been said above but am curious as to why you want an "algae eater" for such a small tank. A pair of Apistos and a few small tetras should be all you need.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
dnulman

Post by dnulman »

Well, every tank eventually gets algea, especially on the glass.

With regards to the comment about temperature, I am seeking out a Apistogramma baenschi Inka which from multiple sources state a wide range of temp and will be fine with just about any pleco. I think regular (non dwarf) cichlids prefer warmer. From this site it states the rubber nose pleco to have a range of 68-77 so I think it should be ok.

My concern is mostly how big they get, and I am worried smaller Otto's will get picked on. Also, I never had success with otto they always died on me.

My curiousity is now peaked with the Ancistrus aff. bodenhameri I will see if I can somehow find it somewhere.
dnulman

Post by dnulman »

So before opting for a Pleco my research guided me towards a beautiful fish called the Panda Garra.

Thank you to everyone for your feedback!!!
Pleko_Fur777
My cats species list: 3 (i:1, k:3)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 3
Location 1: USA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos and Corydoras

Post by Pleko_Fur777 »

I concur with others as to the size of the tank being too small for any. Even pygmy Corydoras need a larger one, because they must be kept in a group.
Not sure if anyone commented on advice your LFS gave you, but a bristlenose too would be too large eventually. A fully grown can be easily a 5” fish.
If it is for algae control, then having a dim light would be a sure way to do that. I have a planted 8 gal, where plants thrive and I have. 4/5 blinded, smallest Aqueon lamp (only 3 white & 2 blue “dots” are on) which does a great job with the plants and I have zero algae issues.
There are a number of plecos, which will not get large and will do very well in a 20 gal Long tank. That, unless you are restricted by space.

Return to “Tank Talk”