Lateral line in my youngest featherfin

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Elfj27
Location 1: USA
Location 2: CT

Lateral line in my youngest featherfin

Post by Elfj27 »

Hello, I have 2 feather fins one is 14 the other 2. The youngest follows the big one everywhere even at feeding time. I try to feed a wide variety of veggies and foods but the big one chases the baby off veggies even though I really spread them out in the tank. On 8/30 I noticed the line down the baby has become more white and he has gray spot on his head. I post on FB to learn it was LLD so I got some Seachem vitality, bottom scratchers repashy and feed him that and add vitality to all food. I’m not seeing a change so I’m a bit worried I need to do more.

Should I separate them until the baby is better?

Should I add a few more products? Pics of the ones I’ve been thinking of adding.
Attachments
IMG_9650.png
IMG_9653.png
IMG_9651.png
IMG_9636.jpeg
IMG_9643.jpeg
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Lateral line in my youngest featherfin

Post by Jools »

Much as we love Repashy products, adding fresh vegetables is all you need to do to halt lateral line erosion. It takes a long time to heal and sometimes doesn't, so you are aiming for halting, maybe reducing not removing. Peas are a good option as they can be placed around the tank to stop aggression that would happen if one food stuff in one place added. This is in addition to other foods, you also need to check peas, or whatever veggies, don't rot if not eaten.

What size is the tank? Can you post a pic, it might be that the root cause of this may also be they don't have enough space or cover.

HTH,

Jools

Return to “African Catfishes”