L046 group quality question (pictures attached)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
catfishmelao
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:1)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Atlanta, GA

L046 group quality question (pictures attached)

Post by catfishmelao »

Hello - Wanted to share some pictures of a group of 7 L046 between 3"-4" so I can get some opinions about quality and confirmation of the sex...
The group of 4 are males according to the seller and the group of 3 are females.
Can someone provide an opinion about quality from the picture, if not, then that is ok. I know the picture only offers a single view....
I just don't want to spend a lot of money on them if those are not worth it. They are expensive @ 3"-4"
Thanks
Attachments
L046 females.jpg
L046 males.jpg
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: L046 group quality question (pictures attached)

Post by bekateen »

@TwoTankAmin, your thoughts?

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Sexing zebras can be difficult. Some of the most experienced zebra folks I know have confessed to getting it wrong when they were sure they had it right. This is one reason I prefer working with groups.

The ideal ratio would be 2 males to 1 female. This is because females can produce eggs faster than a dad can take a spawn from egg to free swimming.

I also prefer working with gorups rather than pairs of reverse trios because i believe the fish are much better equiped to select spawning mates than I can. The same applies to how I lay out a tank. It contains lots of caves spread across the front of the tank with wood/rocks separating them to some extent. I also pile a lot of wood and slate and ricer rocks all over the tank so the zebras can easily move about without breaking cover. This makes it easy when there is a big fight for the one who wants pout to run away and be out of site of the aggressor.

There is a saying among zebra keepers--> A happy zebra is a hiding zebra. When you see one out a lot during daylight it is usually a good sign something is wrong.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
catfishmelao

Post by catfishmelao »

Thanks a lot TwoTankAmin - Do you see any defects in the L046 fishes from the posted picture that will avoid me to move forward buying them and possible try to breed them? I do not want to degrade the species.
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

catfishmelao wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 02:58 Hello - Wanted to share some pictures of a group of 7 L046 between 3"-4" so I can get some opinions about quality and confirmation of the sex...
The group of 4 are males according to the seller and the group of 3 are females.
Can someone provide an opinion about quality from the picture, if not, then that is ok. I know the picture only offers a single view....
I just don't want to spend a lot of money on them if those are not worth it. They are expensive @ 3"-4"
Thanks
Can I ask what the sellers name is? I only ask because there is a person that has taken the picture you posted saying they are selling L46 that are not theirs.

Take care,
Chuck
catfishmelao

Post by catfishmelao »

Send me a private message with the name of the person you want to verify and I will answer you if that is the name of the seller I was planning to buy from or no.
Thanks
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

catfishmelao wrote: 12 Oct 2023, 19:40 Send me a private message with the name of the person you want to verify and I will answer you if that is the name of the seller I was planning to buy from or no.
Thanks
Message sent!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”