Yet another "What is this whiptail?" question...

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Fallen_Leaves16
My cats species list: 30 (i:15, k:16)
Spotted: 34
Location 1: Charlotte, NC
Location 2: United States of America

Yet another "What is this whiptail?" question...

Post by Fallen_Leaves16 »

Feels like all I post are these sorts of questions. Anyhow, got another whiptail species I'd like some assistance in ID'ing.
Screenshot 2023-10-22 10.14.06 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-22 10.14.33 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-22 10.14.53 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-22 10.15.08 PM.png
None of them are very good pictures, and I apologise for that in advance. Picked up a trio in hopes I can get them to spawn (I think I have at least 1m/1f, but I don't know for certain); might go back and grab either one or both of the remaining specimens if they're still there. There was a much darker-coloured specimen, but as it was visibly emaciated compared to the others I thought it best if I didn't get it. Labeled "crying whiptail" for some reason. Wild-caught, but I was unable to find the origin. Seem to be nocturnal for the most part; during the day they seem to spend their time partially buried in sand. About ~20-25cm TL. Don't really seem to care much about anything; have observed a pleco accidentally mouthing one's head after an errant pellet fell next to it with no reaction from the whiptail, except an irritated flick of its head.
All three seem to be in decent health, surprisingly; they haven't shown any interest in taking bloodworms yet, but it's only been a day since I had them.
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably some sort of mutated goose, in today's day and age..."
Fallen_Leaves16

Re: Yet another "What is this whiptail?" question...

Forgot to mention, I'm 90% sure they're Rineloricaria, and my best anecdotal guess would be formosa, though having little experience ID'ing I'm probably wrong.
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably some sort of mutated goose, in today's day and age..."
Fallen_Leaves16

I had three people say they agree with formosa; I'm gonna go with that for now. At least one feeds on cucumber seeds late at night, but I've never seen any of them eating during the day. Funny little blighters, but enjoyable ones nevertheless.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

I was going to say also. I think that's a good ID.

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “What is my catfish?”