Sturisoma of the La Plata drainage

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Sturisoma of the La Plata drainage

Post by Silurus »

Cardoso, Y, S Bogan, F Agnolin, FDF Petean, 2023. How many species of Sturisoma (Siluriformes: Loricariinae) inhabit the La Plata Basin? Zootaxa 5360: 515–530.

Abstract
The aim of the present contribution is to review the taxonomy of the loricariid Sturisoma in the La Plata basin. The original description of the species S. barbatum is analyzed and compared to Regan’s later description of S. robustum. We noticed that Kner’s illustrations may have influenced the description by Regan and other later authors, leading to confusion in the taxonomy of Sturisoma. The diagnostic characteristics and molecular data of S. barbatum and S. robustum are discussed, and we concluded that the differences observed by previous authors are part of the intraspecific variation within a single species. This indicates that S. barbatum is a senior synonym of S. robustum. Sturisoma barbatum is compared to other Sturisoma species.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”