New Hypostomus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

New Hypostomus

Post by Silurus »

Penido, IDS,TS Pessali & CH Zawadzki, 2023. A new tiny-spotted species of Hypostomus (Siluriformes: Loricariidae) from the upper Rio Tocantins basin, Goiás State, Brazil. Zootaxa 5361: 103–113.

Abstract

Scientific visits to ichthyological collections revealed a potentially new species of Hypostomus from the Rio Tocantins basin. From there, subsequent ichthyological surveys led us to capture the taxon in the upper portion of this basin and address it to the H. punctatus group. Here, we present it as a new species to science. The new species is distinguished from its congeners, except those from the H. punctatus group, by having bicuspid teeth with elliptic medial cusps, moderate keels on the head and flanks, small spots on the body, and caudal peduncle that are long and low. From the H. punctatus group, except H. subcarinatus and H. commersoni, it differs by having extremely small dark spots; from H. subcarinatus, it differs by having a beige-brown dorsal-fin background color versus blue in live specimens; and from H. commersoni, it differs by having a short to moderate dorsal fin versus a long dorsal fin.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

New species: Hypostomus lamberti Penido et al., 2023

Post by Jools »

If anyone has a copy of the PDF, would be interested.

Thanks,

Jools
PS Originally, I double-posted this after @Silurus had done so, I did search for it but clearly not very well. Anyway, thanks for tidying up.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”