L264 Sultan

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
CeeReeOoo
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Minnesota

L264 Sultan

Post by CeeReeOoo »

I have recently taken an interest in L264's and am tempting to purchase 6 of them to start a breeding colony. I located a source that sells wild caught at 5" to 6", and another source with 4" to 4.5" for quite a bit less money. Obviously the 5" to 6" would be more mature, but as them being wild caught, I sense a certain risk of them being slightly older and potentially not as prolific. What do you guys recommend? Should I go with the 4" to 4.5", or the 5" to 6"?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: L264 Sultan

Post by Jools »

In my view 5-6" if you want to breed them faster. Smaller ones would allow you to buy a larger group likely still for less money and let them grow out and pair off.

Jools
CeeReeOoo
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Minnesota

Re: L264 Sultan

Post by CeeReeOoo »

Jools wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 18:35 In my view 5-6" if you want to breed them faster. Smaller ones would allow you to buy a larger group likely still for less money and let them grow out and pair off.

Jools
Thank you for your input. I was told that their growth rate slow significantly once they reach the 4inch mark. I am leaning toward getting the larger ones, but like you have mention, the higher price would limit the number of plecos I can purchase.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”