About Cephalocassis borneensis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Quokka
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Ansan
Location 2: South Korea

About Cephalocassis borneensis

Post by Quokka »

I guess this is a catfish that is very rarely kept in aquariums (but I guess....eaten often instead?)

I have the opportunity to get 4...actually I already have 1 :d It seems to be doing well by itself, always on the move and eating well too but it's quite tiny (2") and I was wondering whether someone could give some additional first hand experience on their care? Growth rate, temperment etc? Perhaps it'll enjoy the company of it's own species? I'm considering getting the remaining 3 too.
This seems like a smaller species of the Ariidae family but there's basically no info I can reference for on aquarium keeping....

In the future they will go into a tank at least 5 feet long....or I have a friend with saltwater fish who says they'll take them off my hands if I don't want any more...I didn't give them my affirmation b-)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: About Cephalocassis borneensis

Post by Silurus »

Cephalocassis is a pure freshwater ariid, so I would not pass off the fish to your friend.
Quokka

Post by Quokka »

Silurus wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 00:41 Cephalocassis is a pure freshwater ariid, so I would not pass off the fish to your friend.
Ahhhh I see! Thank you. I think he was thinking they would be similar to Colombian sharks.
I went ahead and ordered the remaining 3....I hope someone can add their experiences from keeping them :)
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

A rare opportunity to keep a fresh water Arid.

And if they look a bit similar to the well known species, they mus be beautiful. I'm a bit anvious
cats have whiskers
Quokka

Post by Quokka »

Bas Pels wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 07:52 A rare opportunity to keep a fresh water Arid.

And if they look a bit similar to the well known species, they mus be beautiful. I'm a bit anvious
I'm unfamiliar with the family in general so I am not sure which species you are referring to?
They have a mostly solid black body color...hopefully I'll snag some pictures later when the additional ones arrive 🙂
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Intriguing.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

Quokka wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 22:52
Bas Pels wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 07:52 A rare opportunity to keep a fresh water Arid.

I'm unfamiliar with the family in general so I am not sure which species you are referring to?
They have a mostly solid black body color...hopefully I'll snag some pictures later when the additional ones arrive 🙂
I'm guessing Bas was talking about the 'Columbian Shark Cat' .
Quokka

Post by Quokka »

I got 3 more but one sadly passed away. The remaining 3 are doing quite well...when they feed they really have that shark vibe!
But when they are not feeding they usually chill near the surface, close to the water current...I thought they'd be more bottom oriented or swim in the middle column.

They seem to have a slow growth rate though? After 2 months only one has grown noticeably...and even then not that much. On the other hand. they don't show any aggression to each other and are usually swimming together. Judging by the slowly growing number of Neocaridina shrimplets (I put adults in as cleaners and potential food sources) I guess they aren't that predatory either....strange

Return to “Asian Catfishes”