Sturisoma revision

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Sturisoma revision

Post by Silurus »

Londoño-Burbano, A & MR Britto, 2023. Taxonomic revision of Sturisoma Swainson, 1838 (Loricariidae: Loricariinae), with descriptions of four new species. Journal of Fish Biology doi:10.1111/jfb.15627.

Abstract

A taxonomic revision of Sturisoma is presented. Individuals including both type and non-type specimens of all valid species were examined. Sturisoma was found to comprise ten valid species: Sturisoma barbatum, S. brevirostre, S. graffini, S. guentheri, S. lyra, S. monopelte, S. nigrirostrum, S. reisi, S. rostratum, and S. tenuirostre. Furthermore, four new species are described: Sturisoma ghazziae, new species, from the Araguaia River, belonging to the Tocantins-Araguaia basin, Central Brazil; Sturisoma careirensia, new species, from the middle Amazon basin, Brazil; Sturisoma rapppydanielae, new species, from the Purus River, Amazon basin, Brazil; and Sturisoma defranciscoi, new species, from the Putumayo and Solimões rivers, upper Amazon basin, Colombia, and Brazil. Sturisoma robustum is synonymized with S. barbatum, species now registered along the Paraguay/Parana/La Plata River basin in Argentina, Brazil, and Paraguay. New records were found for S. nigrirostrum as present in the upper Amazon basin, in the Yavari River, Brazil, in addition to its already known locality, the Ucayali River, Peru. The distribution of the type species of the genus, S. rostratum, is limited to the lower portion of the Amazon basin in the Araguaia, Maranhão, Mearim, Tapajós, and Tocantins rivers and its affluents, Brazil, in contrast to the assumed widespread distribution across the main basins of South America, as previously proposed for the species; the Mearim River is a new record for the species. Updated diagnoses and descriptions are offered for species of Sturisoma, in addition to distribution maps and an identification key for the species.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”