Any good tips for corydoras fry to grow quickly

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Hayklo
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:4)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:10)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Finland
Location 2: Pori

Any good tips for corydoras fry to grow quickly

Post by Hayklo »

I have about 100 Cw009 corydoras catfish fry in a 60 l with aeration an a good heater, it's at 24 C flawlessly been alive for 1 month now, but it seems like they grown only little. I do water change everyday 50% and I feed them microworm and moina.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Re: Any good tips for corydoras fry to grow quickly

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Hayklo wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 03:13 I have about 100 Cw009 corydoras catfish fry in a 60 l with aeration an a good heater, it's at 24 C flawlessly been alive for 1 month now, but it seems like they grown only little. I do water change everyday 50% and I feed them microworm and moina.
I'd try adding in some "meatier" live food, Grindal or chopped Blackworms come to mind and also some dry food.

I grind "Fluval Bugbites" with a pestle and mortar to give a range of small sizes.

I like some snails (Malaysian Trumpet, Tadpole or Red Ramshorn) and Asellus aquaticus with fry to "sweep up" any uneaten food. Others will use Cherry Shrimps as "tank janitors".

I don't know what your tank looks like, but personally I don't like "bare bottom", I like some sand, structural leaf litter and plants, particularly moss and floating plants.

I'm not making any claims for myself, but have a look at the video, I'm going to say that Mark Allison knows what he is doing.
cheers Darrel
Hayklo

Post by Hayklo »

dw1305 wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 17:30 Hi all,
Hayklo wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 03:13 I have about 100 Cw009 corydoras catfish fry in a 60 l with aeration an a good heater, it's at 24 C flawlessly been alive for 1 month now, but it seems like they grown only little. I do water change everyday 50% and I feed them microworm and moina.
I'd try adding in some "meatier" live food, Grindal or chopped Blackworms come to mind and also some dry food.

I grind "Fluval Bugbites" with a pestle and mortar to give a range of small sizes.

I like some snails (Malaysian Trumpet, Tadpole or Red Ramshorn) and Asellus aquaticus with fry to "sweep up" any uneaten food. Others will use Cherry Shrimps as "tank janitors".

I don't know what your tank looks like, but personally I don't like "bare bottom", I like some sand, structural leaf litter and plants, particularly moss and floating plants.

I'm not making any claims for myself, but have a look at the video, I'm going to say that Mark Allison knows what he is doing.
cheers Darrel
Hi, Thanks for responding!
I do have sand bottom. How do you clean the bottom of fry tank with a sand? To me it's very hard to clean it compare to bare bottom what I had with last fry. I also have ramshorn snail with them. I tried with cherry shrimp but they popped a lot.

Is grindal worm meatier food than microworm? I have hard time raising grindal worm cultures? Do you have any tricks on raising them?

cheers Hayklo
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Hayklo wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 22:19I do have sand bottom. How do you clean the bottom of fry tank with a sand? To me it's very hard to clean it compare to bare bottom what I had with last fry.
More difficult with lots of fry in a relatively small tank. I'd probably give the water a good swirl and try and suck out the debris, without getting any sand or fry.
Hayklo wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 22:19I also have ramshorn snail with them. I tried with cherry shrimp but they pooped a lot.
You don't have to worry too much about the shrimp or snail faeces, they are unsightly but they don't have much effect on water quality. Have a look at the BOD bits in <"https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=245019#p245019">.
Hayklo wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 22:19Is grindal worm meatier food than microworm? I have hard time raising grindal worm cultures? Do you have any tricks on raising them?
They are much meatier. I've had the same microworm culture since 2008 (sub-cultured every month or so), but I've got through 3 or 4 Grindal worm cultures in the same time, always because of mite infestation, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

cheers Darrel
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Lots of good research on fish growth has been done by scientists studying aquaculture. The major factors (tested independently) are: Crowding, water quality, and food (amount and quality).

Water quality and food being equal the least crowded group grows fastest.
Crowding and food being equal the group with the best water quality grows second fastest.
Crowding and water quality equal the group with more food grows third fastest.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Hayklo

Post by Hayklo »

Shane wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 20:27 Lots of good research on fish growth

Water quality and food being equal the least crowded group grows fastest.
Crowding and food being equal the group with the best water quality grows second fastest.
Crowding and water quality equal the group with more food grows third fastest.

-Shane
Does water temperature also effect Cw009 fry growth? I am wondering is 24°C ok or should I make it warmer.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Temperature can have an impact but I would not go too much higher than 24.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”