Augmenting commercial feed with live food enhances survival and grown of juvenile Trachelyopterus galeatus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Augmenting commercial feed with live food enhances survival and grown of juvenile Trachelyopterus galeatus

Post by bekateen »

The publisher has not yet released this paper. A pdf can be found HERE: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... naeus_1766

Marinho, Y.F., Oliveira, C.Y.B., Mendes, L.E.M., Santos, I.R.A., Dias, J.A.R., Ândrade, M., Y.V.A. Lopes, Y.V.A., J.W.J. Azevedo, J.W.J., Lourenço, C.B., Moura, R.S.T. & F.P. Ottoni. (2024). Co-feeding using live food and feed as first feeding for the small catfish Trachelyopterus galeatus (Linnaeus 1766). Arq. Bras. Med. Vet. Zootec., 76(2), 323-332.

Marinho, Y.F., Oliveira, C.Y.B., Mendes, L.E.M., Santos, I.R.A., Dias, J.A.R., Ândrade, M., Y.V.A. Lopes, Y.V.A., J.W.J. Azevedo, J.W.J., Lourenço, C.B., Moura, R.S.T. & F.P. Ottoni. (2024). Coalimentação utilizando alimento vivo e ração na primeira alimentação do pequeno bagre Trachelyopterus galeatus (Linnaeus 1766). Arq. Bras. Med. Vet. Zootec., 76(2), 323-332.
This study evaluated the effect of co-feeding with commercial feed and live food (enriched or not with microalgae) on the growth and survival of larvae. Five treatments were carried out: commercial feed as a control (F); brine shrimp nauplii (BS); brine shrimp nauplii enriched with Chaetoceros sp. Microalgae (BSM); combined feed with brine shrimp nauplii (F+BS) and combined feed with brine shrimp nauplii enriched with microalgae (FBSM). The larvae (5.00±0.02 mg and 5.95±0.33mm) were reared for 30 days. There were no significant differences (P>0.05) in water quality between treatments, but there were significant differences in weight, weight gain and survival. The F+BS and F+BSM treatments, which involved co-feeding, showed the best results in final weight (0.168±0.004g and 0.169±0.007g) and weight gain (0.1278±0.004 g and 0.1294±0.007g), respectively. The treatments with live food, enriched or not, showed high survival rates of over 73%, with no significant differences between them. On the other hand, the exclusive use of feed resulted in low survival (36.7 ± 9.53%), indicating that this may result in low growth and make the production of T. galeatus larvae unfeasible.
Keywords: aquaculture, Artemia franciscana, Chaetoceros, larviculture, native fish
RESUMO
Este estudo avaliou o efeito da coalimentação com ração comercial e alimentos vivos (enriquecidos ou não com microalgas) no crescimento e na sobrevivência das larvas de . Foram realizados cinco tratamentos: ração comercial como controle (F); náuplios de artêmia (BS); náuplios de artêmia enriquecidos com microalga Chaetoceros sp. (BSM); ração combinada com náuplios de artêmia (F+BS) e ração combinada com náuplios de artêmia enriquecidos com microalga (F+BSM). As larvas (5,00±0,02mg e 5,95±0,33mm) foram criadas por 30 dias. Não houve diferenças significativas (P>0,05) na qualidade da água entre os tratamentos, mas houve diferenças significativas no peso, no ganho de peso e na sobrevivência. Os tratamentos F+BS e F+BSM, que envolveram coalimentação, mostraram os melhores resultados em peso final (0,168±0,004g e 0,169±0,007g) e em ganho de peso (0,1278±0,004g e 0,1294±0,007g), respectivamente. Os tratamentos com alimentos vivos, enriquecidos ou não, mostraram altas taxas de sobrevivência acima de 73%, sem diferenças significativas entre eles. Por outro lado, o uso exclusivo de ração resultou em baixa sobrevivência (36,7±9,53%), indicando que isso pode resultar em baixo crescimento e inviabilizar a produção
de larvas de T. galeatus.
Palavras-chave: aquicultura, Artemia franciscana, Chaetoceros, larviculturas, peixe nativo
Attachments
Screenshot_20240118-213026_Drive~2.jpg
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: Augmenting commercial feed with live food enhances survival and grown of juvenile Trachelyopterus galeatus

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I am interested in diet and fish. So I was curious about this paper. For one, I feed a mix of Frozen, Repashy and a commercial food. I rotate between them and try to hold the commercial to 15% or so of feeding until my last brand change.

Commercial is a pretty generic term as it covers the worst to the best brands one can find. So, I was curious to discover what the commercial food used in the above research was. I could not easily find the answer in the paper. But, I only used search to find instances of the word commercial. No matter where I found it, there was no mention of any brand name. The only info I did find was below. So if anybody is reading the entire paper and you come upon the details of what commercial food, please post them here or PM me. TY.
For treatments F, F-BS and F-BSM, a commercial fish larvae powdered feed provided ad libitum, with warranty levels for with 55% crude protein, 9% ether extract, 4% crude fiber, 20% mineral matter, 13% moisture and 0.7% vitamin C was used
From what I understand the term "ad litbitium" means at the discretion of the researchers. That means they just picked whatever they wanted.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Augmenting commercial feed with live food enhances survival and grown of juvenile Trachelyopterus galeatus

Post by bekateen »

TwoTankAmin wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 18:02 I am interested in diet and fish. So I was curious about this paper. For one, I feed a mix of Frozen, Repashy and a commercial food. I rotate between them and try to hold the commercial to 15% or so of feeding until my last brand change.

Commercial is a pretty generic term as it covers the worst to the best brands one can find. So, I was curious to discover what the commercial food used in the above research was. I could not easily find the answer in the paper. But, I only used search to find instances of the word commercial. No matter where I found it, there was no mention of any brand name. The only info I did find was below. So if anybody is reading the entire paper and you come upon the details of what commercial food, please post them here or PM me. TY.
For treatments F, F-BS and F-BSM, a commercial fish larvae powdered feed provided ad libitum, with warranty levels for with 55% crude protein, 9% ether extract, 4% crude fiber, 20% mineral matter, 13% moisture and 0.7% vitamin C was used
From what I understand the term "ad litbitium" means at the discretion of the researchers. That means they just picked whatever they wanted.
I also wondered what commercial food they were using.

When used properly, ad libitum feeding is used in scientific papers to mean unrestricted feeding, vs. limiting feeding to amounts that the animals may eat entirety, in which case you would assume they'd eat more if given more.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

With regard to the ad libitum feeding - the commercial food must be dried, and that makes this kind of feeding hard to imagine.

Mice can be supplied with pellets for a fortnight in one feeding without any harm, fish cannot. The pellet will dissolve, and spoil. Therefore I am afraid this ad ligbitium feeding does need explaining.

When I waqs a student, I did some tests on Tilapia (Oreochromis mossambica) wich recieved twice a day a preweigted amount of Tetramin (2 % of the extimated bodyweight of the fishes a day). That kind of work does allow others to repeat the work, this does not.
cats have whiskers

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”