Fry Rearing Method for Angelfish

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:8)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:3, p:148)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Fry Rearing Method for Angelfish

Post by characinkid »

Hi All,
I'm always interested in different fry boxes, egg hatching devices etc. There are lots of different methods and its always interesting to me what people have come up with. To that end I was watching this video on raising Angelfish and there are some great ideas that I thought that I would share. Its an old video but some great ideas here.
www.amazonasmagazine.com/2014/01/03/ang ... ng-videos/
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:17)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Re: Fry Rearing Method for Angelfish

Post by fishguy1978 »

[https://www.amazonasmagazine.com/2014/0 ... ng-videos/]
The link above this post wasn't working.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Thanks for sharing. I'm curious. Do the angelfish eggs hatch in chlorinated water? Since the eggs don't all hatch at once, do the early wigglers get harmed by the chlorine while waiting for the later eggs to hatch?

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I started to look at the link as I was a bit curious. About 18 or 19 years ago I got my first angelfish from a breeder. They were DD Blacks. She sent me 5 and I got a pair out of them. They spawned in my 45 gal. community, so the eggs did not last. The next spawn was on an long anubias leaf. A gent in the fish chat I frequented then and who had been in the pet and fish trade/hobby for over 50 years told me that I had over 500 eggs.

I pulled the leaf to a 2.5 gal tank. Most of them hatched out. And that was my first problem. No place for that many fry. Plus I had to be away for a weekend. Long story short, this taught me I did not want to breed angels. If I had been able to do it right I would have had most of them survive. And the worst part was they did it again in two weeks.

So, my experience was that angels were easy to spawn and made too much work for me to raise the fry. I was told by angel breeders that I would need 2 55 gal. grow tanks for every pair of angels spawning. YIKES! So I stuck with my LF bristlenose and let the angels go. Almost 10 years later after being swamped with bn fry, I got rid of them all and begun moving further into the Hypans beyond my zebras.

I do not understand most of the more complex stuff I have seen in regards to spawning fish. I have concluded that, for the most part, fish naturally want to spawn. So our job in this process is not to do things which will discourage or prevent them from doing so if our goal is to get fry. We need to provide and adequate size/shape tank, we must provide water within their normal parameter range. Hardscape should be appropriate, but the most important factor is the diet we provide. High quality food of the right type is essential. But none of this is rocket science.

However, if the angel guy is getting great results, who am I to tell him to suggest he changes how he does things. When we find what works well for us, then we should stick with it until we find an even better way.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:8)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:3, p:148)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Post by characinkid »

Thats for the replies, agree on the tank space for rearing fry, especially angelfish and many of the cichlids which produce large numbers of fry!

The interesting thing about these videos was the jar and sponges that he uses for rearing for the first few days/weeks. I like the simplicity of this and how they are kept in a small area to allow for feeding but in a larger tank to give them the water volume and temp stability. Fry baskets do this in some way, but they allow the food to drift/flow out, so might try this in the future.
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!

Return to “Tank Talk”