Tocantinsia piresi

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Jiseok Jung
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: South Korea
Location 2: Gunsan city

Tocantinsia piresi

Post by Jiseok Jung »

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3wm-UJr ... BiNWFlZA==

Hi, I'm currently keeping one Tocantinsia piresi for about 3 years and I wonder is there anybody have any idea about how to identify their gender.
Will there any general sexual dimorphysm of this species?
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:3)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Re: Tocantinsia piresi

Post by Martin S »

Can I ask how big your specimen is? I can't help with sexual dimorphism, though being an Auchenipterid, would it not be similar to other fish of this family where the male has the modified anal fin copulatory organ?
As an aside, @Jools - I noticed the SL for is 3.9" yet Fishbase states 51cm, with a comment 'Largest specimen collected is 38.5 cm SL (Mark Sabaj Perez...'?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I'll fix that up in the database. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

Jools
Jiseok Jung

Post by Jiseok Jung »

Martin S wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 15:01 Can I ask how big your specimen is? I can't help with sexual dimorphism, though being an Auchenipterid, would it not be similar to other fish of this family where the male has the modified anal fin copulatory organ?
As an aside, @Jools - I noticed the SL for is 3.9" yet Fishbase states 51cm, with a comment 'Largest specimen collected is 38.5 cm SL (Mark Sabaj Perez...'?
Hello, my specimen is around 40~42cm now and came to me 3 years ago, seems he is still growing quite well. (It was about 20cm when it came to me)
KakaoTalk_20240318_142457584.jpg
In my guess, I think this specimen (mine) is male
KakaoTalk_20240318_142457584_01.jpg
And this one is female (My friends one)

but I can't very sure because there are too less samples and pictures about them available.
Fallen_Leaves16
My cats species list: 30 (i:15, k:16)
Spotted: 34
Location 1: Charlotte, NC
Location 2: United States of America

Post by Fallen_Leaves16 »

Second specimen looks female; first might be male, judging by what looks like an everted genital papilla, but the image is unfortunately not clear enough to see for certain whether the modified copulatory ray (or fin) is present.
I could've sworn I saw a clear picture of a smaller male Tocantinsia with a modified anal fin akin to those of male Centromochlus years ago, but it could probably be chalked up to faulty memory on my part.

Beautiful fish! They don't seem very common in private (and public) aquaria; even rarer still to see such large specimens in great shape.
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably some sort of mutated goose, in today's day and age..."
Jiseok Jung

Post by Jiseok Jung »

KakaoTalk_20240320_093316361_07.jpg
I think I forgot to share a full body shot of my specimen, I don't think it will be helpful for gender identification but please enjoy it!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”