Corydoras breeding tank size

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Manoah
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Netherlands
Interests: Biotope aquariums, corydoras sp, south american nature

Corydoras breeding tank size

Post by Manoah »

Hello,

Is it possible to breed an average size corydoras, around 5cm, in a 35x25x20cm aquarium?
Coryclown
Location 1: Tacoma
Location 2: Washington

Re: Corydoras breeding tank size

Post by Coryclown »

Depends on numbers. I usually have cory colonies of 10-20 so in this case, no.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Manoah wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 10:30Is it possible to breed an average size corydoras, around 5cm, in a 35x25x20cm aquarium?
In the USA, that's just a little smaller than a 5 gallon aquarium.

In my opinion (and it is just that - an opinion), I would say that if you're being thoughtful about the social welfare of your fish (that is, keeping your corys in group of at least 5, preferably more, so that they have social contacts), this tank is too small for any group of adult corys except dwarf corys (C. habrosus, C. pygmaeus and C. hastatus) or maybe some of the C. elegans corys.

You could keep mature but not full grown C. trilineatus in a tank that size, and they might breed for you, but as they grow a tank of this size is not a healthy environment, especially if you hope to spawn them.

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Manoah
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Netherlands
Interests: Biotope aquariums, corydoras sp, south american nature

Post by Manoah »

;))
bekateen wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 22:30
Manoah wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 10:30Is it possible to breed an average size corydoras, around 5cm, in a 35x25x20cm aquarium?
In the USA, that's just a little smaller than a 5 gallon aquarium.

In my opinion (and it is just that - an opinion), I would say that if you're being thoughtful about the social welfare of your fish (that is, keeping your corys in group of at least 5, preferably more, so that they have social contacts), this tank is too small for any group of adult corys except dwarf corys (C. habrosus, C. pygmaeus and C. hastatus) or maybe some of the C. elegans corys.

You could keep mature but not full grown C. trilineatus in a tank that size, and they might breed for you, but as they grow a tank of this size is not a healthy environment, especially if you hope to spawn them.

Cheers,
Eric
Thank you. There are 6 juvenille corydoras julii in there. Real julii not trilimeatus. They are about 1.5cm now. I guess when they are about 3.5-4cm i will get them in a bigger tank then.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I would go further than Eric re tank size. The more water that can be involved, the better it is for breeding and growing out fish. I have mostly worked with plecos for spawning. But I have a project going with the black Schultzei. I have 15 fish in a 20 gal. long which is essentially 30" x 13" x 13" (exterior dimensions) or in cm it is 76.2 x 33 x 33.

Of the 15 fish 6 came in from breeder friend at almost adult size. I then participated in my fish clubs grow out contest which started with another 6 corys but at about 3/4 of an inch (1.9 cm). Finally, I bought another 3 from a fish club breeder at our monthly auction at the end of every meeting. Those were about 1.5+ inch (3.87 cm).

I have to admit that I have not managed to get them to spawn and I am about to rehome them. As I said, I am good with the plecos but nowhere near good with corys. It has been many years since they bred in any of my tanks. However, I believe that 20L tank was adequate for the 15 fish. It is a species tank. But I also have to say I have not made a concerted effort to get a spawn as I have been occupied with the plecos and community tanks.

I find when it comes to small plecos and corys that the footprint of a tank is a bigger consideration than the height. I breed most of my small plecos in 33L tanks which are 13" tall but 48+x13 in area (in cm, 33 x 124 x 33). Also, as Eric said, if one is successful at having the fish spawn, a second tank may be needed for growing out the offspring.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”