Sailfin

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
david
Location 1: dundee scotland
Interests: football,water polo

Sailfin

Post by david »

Hi Guys i recently bought two fish what i believe to be a sailfin syndontis i give them both live foods and flake foods but ive been told by someone u can give them live fish to eat like neon tetras would be safe and is thie deemed to be too cruel?.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

I know of no one who feeds Synos live fish, and I wouldn't recommend it (not because it's necessarily cruel, but because they almost certainly won't eat them).

Dinyar
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Not to mention the extremely high livelihood of the feeder fish transmitting diseases to your synos.
gibbo
Location 1: Derbyshire, UK
Interests: Fishkeeping, Photography, Cinema, Crime Literature

Post by gibbo »

Most likely syno. Eupterus, Featherfin Synodontis. Why this person recommended feeder fish is beyond me. When I had mine it was close on 7" long and the biggest thing that he seemed comfortable eating was a catfish tablet or pellet. They don't have large mouths and, although they are known to predate on fish fry and eggs, Neon tetras, apart from the disease risk already mentioned, would be flippin' expensive live food!!! 8)

How long has this 'someone' been keeping fish dave?
david
Location 1: dundee scotland
Interests: football,water polo

Feeder fish

Post by david »

Hi Gibbo and everyone else thanks for your replies its someone who keeps c******s and he gives them live neons and someone in a shop told him u shouldent keep sailfins with neons tetras or they will feed on them and then he told me to try that and hes kept fish apart from catfish for 5 years.

Return to “African Catfishes”