australian catfish!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
bigrob
Location 1: Blackpool, England.
Interests: Fishing, Chiclids and catfish

australian catfish!

Post by bigrob »

I have seen some catfish in a shop that were discribed as Australian catfish. I think I have identified them as Arius bernayi, but the info on this fish is that it is marine but also lives in brackish water and can be found in totally fresh water. Does anyone know if it can be kept long term in fresh water? And what size and water conditions?

bigrob.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

<i>Arius berneyi</i> is a pure freshwater species (so you should not need any brackish water). However, it grows to about 38 cm, which is kind of large for an average aquarium.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Re: australian catfish!

Post by coelacanth »

bigrob wrote:I have seen some catfish in a shop that were discribed as Australian catfish. I think I have identified them as Arius bernayi,
Which shop? The only place I know that got these in was BAS here in Bolton. If it is in the NW then they may have got their stock from the wholesale side of BAS, but if not I'd be very interested to know who else is importing Australian fish. I'd definitely like to see some more F/W Plotosids around, I still have been unable to track down anyone who bred any of the ones imported a couple of year back. It may be they all ended up as lone fish, purhased for curiosity value.
Pete
bigrob
Location 1: Blackpool, England.
Interests: Fishing, Chiclids and catfish

australian catfish!BAS

Post by bigrob »

The ones that I have seen are from BAS, they have about half a dozen 5 inch fish.They have had them in the past and its the only place that I have seen them.

Return to “Other Catfishes”