pictus behavior question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
frawgthorn
Location 1: Ohio

pictus behavior question

Post by frawgthorn »

I have one spotted pictus in a 55 gallon tank with one Tiger Oscar. Both are about 4 inches in length. They get along really well. My question is about pictus behavior. Are they generally active fish? My little cat is in constant motion all over the tank. I have read that they are bottom dwellers but my guy spends as much time in the middle of the tank and at the top of the tank as he does the bottom. thanks for any info! :D
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Re: pictus behavior question

Post by coelacanth »

frawgthorn wrote:I have read that they are bottom dwellers but my guy spends as much time in the middle of the tank and at the top of the tank as he does the bottom. thanks for any info! :D
OK, for a start I'd make sure your water quality is top notch. Pictus like good water, not too acidic with reasonable movement, high oxygen and low nitrates. Oscars are not the best fish to assist in providing these conditions, to say the least!

Next I'd say that you need more. These are a shoaling fish, and one on it's own may be stressed, which could lead to the unsettled swimming pattern.
frawgthorn

Post by frawgthorn »

How many should be kept together? Would two or three be ok or do they need large groups?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

A small group of 3 or 4 should do fine.
frawgthorn

Post by frawgthorn »

Thanks! My water is in good condition. with an Oscar I do frequent water changes and testing. First thing in the morning I will get "felix" some friends. I wish I could get this type of info from the aquarium store where I shop. Thank goodness there are these boards that have people with experience keeping these cats. I am glad i found this site! :)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”