Unbelivable behaviour by my female L-102

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Chill
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 14
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Catfish L-Numbers

Unbelivable behaviour by my female L-102

Post by Chill »

I have had a old trichogaster leeri in a tank with my L-102 pair and this morning I failed to see her anywhere.
I searched the whole tank. She wasn't to be found anywhere, so I took a flashlight and looked in the caves. To my big surprise I found her dead in the cave where the female L-102 lives, she was having a feast on the cadaver.
Due to the shape of the cave, I know that the tricogaster would never swim into it, so my only solution is that the L-102 somehow has "dragged" her into the cave.
Anyone else ever experienced anything like it?
I love L-numbers
PlecoRising
Location 1: MidAtlantic US

Post by PlecoRising »

Why can't you just call it a Gourami??
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

PlecoRising Wrote:
Why can't you just call it a Gourami??
Do you realize how many species of Gourami there are? The topic regarding the use of Latin names has been covered extensively in "Speak Easy".
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Chill

Post by Chill »

I could also have written pleco instead of L-102, but that woulden't be correct would it?
I love L-numbers
PlecoRising
Location 1: MidAtlantic US

Post by PlecoRising »

A dead gourami is a dead gourami! :roll:
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

The original topic was if anyone has had experience with this problem. How about we try to address that problem. You know the saying, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all....

Barbie
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

On Barbie's lead, back to the original topic at hand:

It is not at all uncommon for a pleco, particularly a Hypancistrus spp. to feed on carrion. Including feeding on the carcass of a dead fish.

It could be that the fish is lacking something in it's diet. What are you feeding the fish as a staple. Hypancistrus spp. as a rule tend to be some of the more carnivorous Loricariids.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

I've also herd that some Loricariids will dart for a hand in the tank with dead skin on it as i was shocked to see my L163 attack my hand! :?

G.
Chill

Post by Chill »

My plecos lack nothing pturley :D

It was more the behaviour of "dragging" it into the cave I was adressing.
I love L-numbers
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

I have seen something like that happend in one of my tank's...for some years ago I found one of my Gymnogeophagus meridionalis dead in a cave there one of my L114 was using, I had not noticed that it was sick or so earlier and when I found it I did not thought so much over why it was laying at the bottom of the cave more then why he had died. Maybe the L114 had drag him into the cave but I dont think he had kill it...just found him dead outside the cave.

Janne
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

I've a big L025 that will either take a scallop and run into the cave or it'll balance on it's pelvic fins so that it's head and mouth are about 2 inches off the bottom of the tank, making it a big effort for a stingray to try and steal the food. if something in the tank died I wouldn't think it at all uncommon for it to drag off a chunk or even the whole fish if it'd fit in the cave.
kwalker
I've donated: $236.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 55 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 16 (i:2, p:392)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: SPENCER,OHIO USA
Location 2: spencer,ohio united states
Interests: breeding catfish from all parts of the world and getting them into the hobby. favorite catfish is the stonecat madtom,btw ingo how are my fish

Post by kwalker »

I can add to this topic. approximately 2 months ago i found a psuedotropeus daktari dead in my tank. at the time i did not have a quick second to pull the dead fish. 20 minutes later i came back down stairs to do just that and to my surprise my 3 L-270's where actually fighting over the carrion. i quickly called pturley and was discussing this with him. i observed this for around 30 minutes, all the time talking to paul on the phone discribing to the best of my ability what was going on. he then suggested that i video tape the action, which i tried to do only to find i had no tapes to do so with. Two things i learned, pleco's eat carrion, and always have a tape hidden from your family for important matters such as this.

ken
" CATFISH, THE ONLY REAL AQUARIUM FISH"
Yann
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Really I don't think it is so surprising that Loricariidae eat dead meat, I mean Bristelnose have been doing this for years in tanks of many people so it isn't much surprise that other Ancistrini species would do the same...
remember in the wild food don't always come available like it is in a confine environement like a fish tank, so any source of protein is welcome...
The fact that they might take the food inside their caves is more surprising, it clearly show that they want to protect this food from other potential competitors...

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

I agree with you Yann, I'm not suprice that they eat dead fish...it's the protection of the food that are interesting.

Janne
blackmystus
Location 1: Carlisle, Cumbria, UK
Interests: Catfish and oddballs

a little poem to relive you all of this stress...

Post by blackmystus »

over there i saw a cow, it must have moved - cos its gone now.

dont all have a cow.

BNKY. Y? bringing people together.

http://groups.msn.com/BNKY
http://groups.msn.com/BNKYCarlisle

check out me fish at the link below......
pleco_breeder
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello,

Back to the topic, again. This doesn't concern dead fish, but I had a colony of Ancistrus punctatus several years ago. The male was constantly pulling any zucchini that I added to the tank into his pipe to guard it from the females. If I added several pieces, he'd have most of them pushed to the back of the pipe within a couple hours. I think it's just normal for them to try to defend food. I'm sure that every body who keeps plecos has seen some of the fights that break out over a bit of nourishment.

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”