Transferring catties

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
jazz
Location 1: chelt

Transferring catties

Post by jazz »

Okies my dillema is this, soon I will be needing to transfer my 2 catfish (clarius) to a bigger tank. Now lol the last time I tried to net em ok lets put it like this I can't unless you want all hell to break loose and splash city to ensue - any idea's how I can do this without massive stress to me .... oops I mean the catfish...???
My oh my I think it's gonna eat me.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Use a large, clear plastic bag, put it in the tank and scoop them up in it. I have always managed to move the most difficult cats this way.
Don't ever use a net for <i>Clarias</i>, as they have an irritating tendency to jump out of the net, land on the floor with a splat and start trying to walk away...
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

A variant on the plastic bag technique is a large, transparent plastic jug or other container. It has the advantage of "keeping its mouth always open".

Dinyar
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

not to mention the fact that Clarias has though pectoral spines and is a strong fish; well capable of slashing itself right through a plastic bag in wich case wet pandemonium happens; been there done that; chasing a fish through the living room sounds like fun, but isn't!
once it squeezes itself between the furniture and the wall.... We had to take the room 'apart' to catch it; that scene was well worth any Fawlty Towers show. :wink:
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

BTW there's a chapter on them in the Manual of Tankbusters giving an account of an especially ornery one. Recommended reading. :lol:
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)

Return to “Asian Catfishes”