Tankmates - Turtles and Pl*cos?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Tankmates - Turtles and Pl*cos?

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

As i plan to move to my girlfriend sometime next year im allready thinkign of what kinda tank i setup at her place cauz mine just wont fit...so ive looked at corner tanks...

As she isnt into fish a whole lot we thought about getting some small water turtles (afaik the ones we checked top out at 15-20 cm and arent good swimmers) and i know all sources say keeping turtles and fish doesnt work...would turtles and well sized plecos work out? Im thinking about a 300 litre setup with my L77 Cochliodons and the L114. Anybody has any idea if this would work out?
Sorry for posting here but i wasnt sure where itd fit...
cheers
Christian
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Most freshwater turtles aren't fully aquatic, and would not be very comfortable in a regular aquarium (they do better in terrariums).
Well, you can always try a pig-nosed turtle (<i>Carettochelys</i>), as they are aquatic enough not to require any land. They seem fairly docile, but don't take my word for it as I'm not much of a herpetologist.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

The other problem you will have is that turtles are poop factories. The only fishes I can think of that would survive in that kind of foul water are possibly Clarias spp.

Dinyar
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

Turtles can really messed up the water if your filtration is just enough. They urined in the water. Used to have a 1 foot fly river turtle.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Re: Tankmates - Turtles and Pl*cos?

Post by coelacanth »

Caol_ila wrote:As she isnt into fish a whole lot we thought about getting some small water turtles (afaik the ones we checked top out at 15-20 cm and arent good swimmers) and i know all sources say keeping turtles and fish doesnt work...would turtles and well sized pl*cos work out?
I wouldn't. First reason is, even herbivorous aquatic chelonians will make use of extra protein when the opportunity arises. I found this out over 20 years ago, and it's a mistake I won't make again.
Next, many farmed 'turtles' carry Salmonella. This could make water changes a needlessly hazardous process.
They will place huge demands on any filtration system, and are likely to cause extreme fluctuations of water quality.
Chelonians are incredibly strong for their size (we have an 85 year-old tortoise, and when he wants to go somewhere he just goes!), and could ccause a collapse of any decor with unfortunate results for sheltering catfish.
They are also likely to stress bottom-dwelling Catfish just by virtue of their moving around the aquarium and trampling the fish.
There may be problems during feeding. If a Catfish is sat chewing something juicy, it will not appreciate being pestered by a creature much heavier than itself, and this could result in severe physical damage if they both try to eat the same thing at the same time.
Pete
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Ok thx guys that pretty much killed the idea...

The salmonella brings me a step closer to a pleco tank...:) Just throw some zebras in and shell be happy...

I wonder that ppl buy turtles for their kids when they carry salmonella...i think your doctor has to give notice to the authorities here if a human has salmonella...
cheers
Christian
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

The only fish I've heard of that can live with turtles are goldfish. Have a friend that has a turtle, put a gold fish in for a feeder, and it never got eaten. It ended up just getting bigger, and bigger, and now they are buddies :)

A side note, because of health reasons it is illegal for stores to sell turtles here, though it is not illegal to own them.

Return to “Tank Talk”