ODD clarius behaviour

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
jazz
Location 1: chelt

ODD clarius behaviour

Post by jazz »

Jason you wanted to know about some odd behaviour.
Well my largest of the two has a new habit - getting a great gulpfull of air and getting his floatation just right then going to the middle of the tank and position himself vertically tail high in the air.

Also I've noticed when threatened by the "smaller" catty he puts his body in an "s" position, like a shark does before an attack, warning posture.

If I notice anymore oddness I will let U all know.
My oh my I think it's gonna eat me.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

normal..i think

Post by jscoggs27 »

That sounds normal Ill think your'll find. Mine sometimes does the same thing. They seem to take great gulps of air which lasts them quite awhile. I think that the air makes them take that position if they are resting. Mine can lay motionless on it s side, tail, belly for hours only to wake up when I shake a bag of pellets! However other times i feel its necesary to put something on the lid as a precaution because in his search for air he targets the lid of the tank and shoots at it like a ballistic missile.
Nothing surprises me anymore. I just saw mine spraying mouthfulls of water in front of him kicking up a great cloud of sand. Making strange talking noises with the trapped air which he kinda belches from his gills. Running scared from his 1.5 inch pleco companion.
They always seem to take air regardless of the oxygen content because there gills are so poorly developed. make sure theres plenty of room for them to reach the surface.
mine likes to play in the filter outlet. And lights dont bother him one bit.
What do you feed yours? mine only likes bloodworm and pellets. Wont eat nothing else.

jason
jazz

feed..??

Post by jazz »

pellets and other fish......lots of other fish. :lol:
jazz

odd

Post by jazz »

My clarius's first taste of cheese tonight - they loved it. Whats the weirdest thing you have fed them..?? :evil:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Whats the weirdest thing you have fed them..??
Banana.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Post by jscoggs27 »

no mine is very particular..only eats the most expensive pellets and occasionally the odd floating cichlid pellet. wont eat anythiing green at all. and doesnt touch other fish anymore. he has become very tame.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”