pimelodella gracillus and parauchenoglanis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

pimelodella gracillus and parauchenoglanis

Post by Zack »

Hi guys,
well when i went to order my ornate pim and my lima the lfs said that their breader didnt have any in stock and id have to wait till next time they ordered, which is every month and a half (isnt many aquarists up here). But she gave me a list of fish she could order tomorrow for me. The only ones im interested in off of it are pimelodella gracillus, and parauchenoglanis do any of you know anything about either of these two fish?? The pims were only eight bucks and what little info i could find on them told me they dont get over six inches so i went ahead and ordered two of them and if it turns out they dont like being together or something dont worry as i have more than one tank so they can be spread out, i doubt that will be the case though as i cant recall too many pims being this way. The fish they are gonna be kept with are pim-pictus,striped raphael,chocolate raphael,and a baby gibby, Will there be any problems between any of them??
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

No problems with the other two fish. Bear in mind that the <i>Anaspidoglanis</i> (that's most probably what the <i>Parauchenoglanis</i> is instead) will stay hidden most of the time.
The <i>Pimelodella</i> are nice, but often underrated, fish.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Have to disagree with you on the parauchenoglanis; mine were always up & running and let's not forget: DIGGING.
They dig almost constantly! And need a fine, sandy substrate (2-3") and make sure the plants are well-rooted; they're not as bad as Giraffenose cats; but make a nice second!
And they're AFRICANS, not South Americans; well worth the money, and unfortunately very rare in the trade.
you need a sized up tank; though; they get big (the smallest at least 8") and they're active too. If you like them, get three or so; otherwise they might get shy indeed. When mine were adults they got a lot more reclusive; but not as bad as some Doradids, or Auchenipterids do.
When you have two in a too small tank; they can get nasty to each other (like some Synodontis do, as well). Better buy 1 or three or more.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Zack

Post by Zack »

Wow thanks for the quick replys,
So which ones would you guys have chosen for the 55? Three eight inch fish on top of everything else would be a bit much am i right?? How active are the pims?? Theres no plants at all in the tank since the lighting is pretty dim but there is lots of driftwood will they need any other types of cover?? Thanks again.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

I would go for the pims. They would hide once in a while, but will come out at feeding time (like most pims do). Get at least three (though with the fish you already have, it may seem a little crowded) as they enjoy company, just like the pictus.
Zack

Post by Zack »

I ordered two so i guess i will order another one next time they order. Which usualy isnt very often will they be alright with just two for a while?? Are they as active as the pictus?? Will they be alright with say some neons or bloddfin tetras?? Thanks again silirus
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Those I have kept were at least as active as pim pictus, and yes, they should be fairly safe with neons. I guess two is OK, as I had two in a very densely planted tank with lots of driftwood and I could always see them coming out during feeding time.
Zack

Post by Zack »

Alright thanks again. I'll let you know if that truely is what they are when i get them.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
PeacockBass
Location 1: the Net
Interests: Fish,Girls,Competition,Games

Post by PeacockBass »

my LFS just got some dwarf giraffe catfish in a little while ago.. cute litle buggers..

nice fish.. hope your happy with your purchase! good luck.
Zack

Post by Zack »

Yeah i think i decided against the girrafes. Although its nice to know i can get them incase i ever start a african tank. I wonder what should be a average price for the fallowing fish
pimpictus
a 4 inch gibbi
synodontis eupterus
pimelodella gracillus (graceful pim??)
stiped raphael
chocolate raphael

I was just wondering because the only fish i payed more than eight bucks for was the striped raphael and those prices seemed really cheap (not that im complaining).
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Zack

Post by Zack »

Well i went to the lfs today, They had both of my pimelodella gracillus in. They are both very small about one and a half inch to two inches. They are deffinately grassilus to. The also got some neat little plecos that i think i'll pick up when i get my pims. They are some sort of tiger pleco. Well thanks again sillirus
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”