Hemibagrus nemesis (sorry, nemurus)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Hemibagrus nemesis (sorry, nemurus)

Post by Chrysichthys »

I would like to hear of anyone's experience with this :twisted: catfish.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Second only to <i>H. wyckii</i> as the hellspawn of all catfishes. Mine didn't try to bite me (not like my <i>H. wyckii</i> did), but would still kill anything I put in the tank regardless of size.
I put a <i>Mystus singaringan</i> (no slouch in itself) of almost the same size as a tankmate once. Bad mistake. It was covered with bite marks and wounds and very dead in hours.
Truth be told, all <i>Hemibagrus</i> species have a mean streak in them and should always be kept alone. They're pretty tough old birds, though and can pretty much handle anything you throw at them. Mine expired when a power outage inadvertently drained the tank before anyone realized what was happening (a story too long to be repeated here).
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Mine (currently 27cm) has killed fish too big for it to eat. About two months ago it became hand-tame, learning it from SA and African big cat tankmates. I didn't think bagrids would do this. It solved most of the aggression; some minor chasing is all I get now. Anybody who has one should try to hand-tame it.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Id prefer the true rtc to the false one. When we have smaller ones they have been fine even in tanks with peaceful fish, unlike the wyckii and numerus which can only be described as pure evil. I have a wyckii called lucifer and a colleague as a numerus which is now growing well. True character fish.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

STINGRAY wrote:Id prefer the true rtc to the false one.
As in the SA Redtail? Unfortunately I have yet to see anyone who has a big enough home aquarium to house one of these in a way that is anything more than barely adequate.
The one that was here looked cramped in my opinion in 1000 gallons+, and was moved on for just that reason.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”