Light and growth in Astroblepus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Light and growth in Astroblepus

Post by Silurus »

Velez-Espino, LA, 2003. Conservation aquaculture of the Andean catfish Astroblepus ubidiai: effect of light intensity on growth rate and number of reproductive allocations. Journal of Aquaculture in the Tropics, 18: 327-342.

Abstract

This paper describes the first attempt to grow specimens of the "prenadilla" catfish Astroblepus ubidiai (Pisces; Siluriformes) in captivity. I studied the effect of different light intensities on the number and frequency of reproductive allocations (maturity events). Fish inhabiting seasonal environments exhibit continuous reproduction. One key question is how many reproductive allocations in a year can a single female develop? Although A. ubidiai reproduction is occurring continuously throughout the year, and it is possible to evaluate the proportion of reproducing individuals in a certain period of time, the physiological capacity of fish to mature more than one batch of eggs per year is unknown. These attributes depend strongly on endogenous factors initiating vitellogenesis and ovulation, and exogenous factors that influence the endogenous factors. Early literature suggested troglophilic behavior by this fish. Evidence also existed in the form of the presence of the fish in wells and springs, and the traditional ecological knowledge of the local people. It was hypothesized that there would be a negative effect of light intensity on the number of reproductive batches. The results of this investigation revealed that multivoltine behavior in A. ubidiai partially occurs independently of the exogenous effect of light intensity indicating that endogenous control of reproductive development enables spontaneous ovulation under constant environmental conditions. But also a significant correlation suggested that light intensity may play an important role in the frequency of allocations and very likely in the development of successful oviposition. The implications of this study are contrasted with the outcomes of other areas of investigation and analyzed from the conservation-biology perspective.

I thought this might be interesting, because it's probably the first paper I have seen that mentions anything about keeping astroblepids.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”