Synodontis Contractus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
wayneminot
Location 1: Dallas metroplex texas usa

Synodontis Contractus

Post by wayneminot »

I was in a lfs earlier and they had some upside down cats but they were a lot bigger than the usual and they had huge eyeballs too I asked the guy about them and he said someone traded them in I would have bought the two but I really have NO room for anything at the moment could they have been contractus?
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

I have never seen them in any any US LFS or importer list in ten years of looking for Synos. Anything's posssible, but I tend to doubt the fish you saw were S. contractus

Dinyar
wayneminot

Post by wayneminot »

well then what were they? They match the description I have in a book for contractus. If they where in someone elses tank since they last imported them is it possible they could still have been alive? Ah I'll go back and try and buy them but with my luck by the next time I can get by there which will be about a week they'll probably be sold.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

If you can post a picture of the fish, we can probably tell you what it is.
wayneminot

Post by wayneminot »

Like I said by the next time I can get by that store they'll most likely be gone theres a lot of fish geeks that go to that store and I bet someone will see them and know what they are and grab them before I can get back there.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

I think you might have seen Synodontis pleurops; when small they look like giant contractus.
I've kept 4 contractus for years and they're next to pleco's the best thing when it comes to clearing algae!!
Right behind them is pleurops who has just one drawback; sheer size.
contractus rarely reaches >8 cm; pleurops routinely pass 25....
Both are VERY, VERY peaceful; and care should be taken when it comes to choosing tankmates; I got my contractus because they were terrorized by some moderately sized cichlids; mind, this was a 100+G tank.
We had to euthanize one (it was too badly damaged) and I took the remaining 4; they were good company for my Mochokiella and Amphilius.
Both species are DEFINITELY worth keeping IMO
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Tom
Location 1: Michigan,USA

contractus

Post by Tom »

I got 4 contractus 8 yrs. ago indirectly thru a wholesaler in New Jersey. I've had the fish twice and really enjoyed them. The only downside is they seem pretty delicate compared to other Synos. your location says DFW metroplex, where is that?
wayneminot

Post by wayneminot »

Dallas fort worth metroplex texas usa.

Return to “African Catfishes”