Pictus cat help - Should I start to worry?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
SandrA9810
Location 1: Miami, Fl

Pictus cat help - Should I start to worry?

Post by SandrA9810 »

I just noticed this today. Both of my cats seem to have white speckles on them, more near the top of thier head. It doesn't seem to be on the inside, but rather on the outside, type of growth.
They both have calmed down quite a bit from thier hyperness, and are breathing heavier than usual even resting.

I'm doing a partial water change right now, about 10-20% change. Should I add in some salt? or any other kind of medication?
frawgthorn
Location 1: Ohio

Post by frawgthorn »

This sounds like ICK and must be treated. There are many medications available but some are not suitable for use on the pictus because they are scaleless. Read directions carefully before using or ask someone at your fish store for meds to treat scaleless fish.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

You might want to think about increasing the temperature of the water in your tank as well. Ich ae only vulnerable to medication in the free-swimming stage, and increasing the temp makes this occur sooner.
SandrA9810
Location 1: Miami, Fl

Post by SandrA9810 »

How do I go about getting rid of it?

I've read some stuff, and they say that for scaleless fish it can do more harm than good with certain remedies. I don't want to do something that'll kill them.
PhilipAsh
Location 1: Nottingham, UK

Post by PhilipAsh »

Raising the temp can have two effects.
Above 30C the ich will die off. (in theory) I have never used this alone to treat a tank.(and of course, some fish will not tolerate such a high temp)
But raising the temp will definately speed up the lifecycle of the disease. Most meds will only work on the freeswimming stage. By having warmer water you eradicate the disease quicker, as you will have some at all three stages within the tank. Allow at least 10 days to treat the tank. Not just once the dots have gone.

Just be certain the instructions mention about using the meds with scaleless fish. Often a half dose is recommended.

Hope this helps.

Phil.
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Ich has a 3 week life cycle! The med's will only kill the ich when in free swiming stages. Up your temp above 30c and try to keep off lights as long as possible. Warmer water means less air in the water for your fish but it also's kill's the ich so keep your tank aired. Salt does work with them. I used salt with my so called Scaleless fish like Loaches with no problems. Tell me a fish with no scales!!!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”