Hatching & Raising fry

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.

Was this useful?

Yes
97%
No
3%

Total votes: 275

bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Re: Hatching & Raising fry

Post by bigamefish »

You just answered all my questions !! Now I just have to go pick up some males!
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
bettafish
Location 2: McBride, BC, Canada

Post by bettafish »

Hey guys! My catfish just unexpectedly spawned. I am completely shocked. They are Bronze cories, and there are 3 of them in a 14g tank with a betta and a whack of Red Ramhorn snails. I want them to live, but I don't have live food to feed them, so should I just leave the eggs alone, since I can't provide live food? I only have two types of bottomfeeder pellets. Advice is appreciated!
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

Hi bettafish,

Do you have another small tank to deposit the eggs or the Cory's and the bettafish. If you leave the eggs with the adults they will most likely be eaten. You do not have to feed live food. You can crush one of the pellets into a fine powder, but feed sparingly. You can also purchase frozen baby brine shrimp. Once the eggs hatch after about four days wait until the yolk sacks dissolve before feeding the fry.

Mark
bettafish
Location 2: McBride, BC, Canada

Post by bettafish »

I scraped off a couple batches of the eggs (there were about 5) into a container thats being floated in the 14g, and I hope they make it. I read they can be fed egg yolk too, is this right? I'm nervous about putting all of the batches of eggs into the container, as I squished some getting them off the side, they float off and make it hard to catch!
andyC
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: northeast
Location 2: northeast uk
Interests: i keep bristle noise cat fish and i also breed corydoras cat fish bronze and paleatus which are all breeding at the moment

Post by andyC »

hello i have a slight problem i breed bronze
and paleatus and i have no problem keeping the bronze
fry alive but i do with the paleatus the bronze seem to feed
all the time but i have noticed that the paleatus don't feed
as vigorously as the bronze fry can you shine any light on this
please

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0.5
ph 6.8 to 7.0
TDS .79
just because a tank looks clean it doesn't
mean its safe
ali12345
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Surrey

Post by ali12345 »

Would this apply to hoplo cats as well? They have laid eggs in a bubble nest attached to the crossbar. I need to do a waterchange tomorrow. I can try and do a water in and out at the same time to try and keep the levels up. They won't make it if they hatch though so I will need to try and remove them and put them in a floating nursery with an airstone.
Catfishy
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:13)
Location 2: United Kingdom

Re: Not pulling eggs

Post by Catfishy »

The most success I've had so far was from doing absolutely nothing. I have a community tank and when my cories laid for the first time it took me by surprise, the eggs all hatched and i thought all the fry had been eaten and then about a month and half later two little cories appeared and now are almost big enough to start breeding themselves. My wee pod of cories have spawned a good few time since then, every time i do a 50% water change actually, and I have some newly hatched fry in a wee net right now but i've never been successful, fingers crossed this time
CorydoraCat
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Canada

Post by CorydoraCat »

My elegans laid eggs today. They're tan colored, but look like they have a bit of a white center. Any idea of they may be fertile? The only male in the tank is a peppered cory.
rita1
Location 1: Gloucestershire
Location 2: Eastington

Post by rita1 »

i have sterbai corys lay her eggs on the glass and plants, i scraped them off with a sharp knife and put the eggs into a tupperware with the water from the tank and clipped the tupperware to the side of the tank, so the water will stay warm as it floats inside the tank. day 3 they started to hatch by day 4 all had hatched. i change the water daily with the water from the tank. now i am feeding liquid fry i use a syringe (without) needle to suck up the waste from the tupperware. they are a great little catfish.
yannick62
Location 1: Near Lille
Location 2: France
Interests: Keeping tropical fish
Ice hockey

Post by yannick62 »

My peppered cory lay between 80 to 120 eggs for one female.

very interesting article.... With lot of advices.

Yannick
Yannick Mesnage
France (North near Lille)
Elainemac1981
Location 1: Renfrewshire
Location 2: Port Glasgow

Post by Elainemac1981 »

My fry has just hatched first time cracking it there in a tub with a airstone in but do I take the airstone out n just put a airline in
viktorvviktor
Location 1: Spain
Location 2: Paris

Post by viktorvviktor »

Gracias, información útil! Pues la Cecotec CecoFry Compact Plus es justamente ese electrodoméstico soñado. Una freidora https://mejorfreidorasinaceite.es/freidora-cecofry/ pequeña compact dietética y/o sin aceite capaz de cocinar de 4 maneras, una verdadera ayudante de cocina a low cost.
-carlo
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:9)
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Groningen

Post by -carlo »

I see it is recommended to add methylene blue. How do I dose this? I have 5 grams in powder form. Thanks in advance!
mrspepperpot
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: united kingdom
Location 2: devon

Post by mrspepperpot »

hi, its always good to learn from the experts, I am new to the cory world, although my peppers are spawning so much I'm having trouble keeping up with them. I haven't as yet managed to raise past 7 days old, although her last batch of 3 spawns all within a two week period seem to be doing well, oldest fry 7days old today.
kiwidu21
My cats species list: 20 (i:4, k:5)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:17)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: France
Location 2: Côte D'Or

Post by kiwidu21 »

Hello, I have done quite a lot of breeding Corydoras aeneus albino and I have about 500 fry in my tanks. I have about 250 that are just over 3 months old and they are barely 2cm tall. So would you have any growth charts to see if it's normal for them to grow so slowly? They were bred with microworms and groundfish pellets (Tropical, JBL, Dennerle brand). They are distributed in a 260 liter tank (70 cm x 80cm on the ground) and a 60 liter tank (30cm x 60cm on the ground). How big are your corydoras fry at this age?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”