Corydoras hastatus bycatch tetras

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Corydoras hastatus bycatch tetras

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

I stumbled over some Tetras today at the LFS that were in a swarm of Hastatus. I dont have pics online yet but they look exactly the same as the Corys. A little bigger, higher body but the black marking in the tail is identical and as i introduced them they immediately shoaled with my Corys. I bought three of these for -.80 cent.
Another fish in that tank at the lfs was a *to me* hunter tetra. The tail has a spot like the others but red markings instead of white. Also the eye is red colored. The fins are quite long especially the pectorals. It look like a hunter with a big muth reminding me of weitzmanni. Its 4 cm long and the tetras and the habrosus shoaled with it although it didnt seek them staying alone most of the time.

I hope to get some pics online monday so the id will be much easier.
cheers
Christian
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Sounds cool. I'll look forward for the pic's. :D
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Another fish in that tank at the lfs was a *to me* hunter tetra. The tail has a spot like the others but red markings instead of white. Also the eye is red colored. The fins are quite long especially the pectorals. It look like a hunter with a big muth reminding me of weitzmanni.
This sounds like <i>Gnathocharax steindachneri</i>, which looks like this:
Is your fish it?
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Maybe <I>Odontostilbe(Cheirodon?) kreigi</I>? Corydoras:the most popular armoured catfishes of South America has a pic and says they coexist. I've always wanted that grouping! I have another Tetra(can't remember the name) that looks similar to <I> C. hastatus</I> that I keep, waiting for a group<I> C. hastatus</I>!! All the wholesale lists here in the US say <I>C. hastatus</I>, but always arrive as <I>C. pygmaeus</I>
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

There are numerous Characins that show this tail spot. The one I'm most familiar with is Hyphessobrycon elachys, a gorgeous little fish that is very easy to breed in the aquarium. Ian Fuller also has some of this species, some from me and some wild fish, to set up with C. hastatus to observe their behaviour.

I agree with Heok on the 'predatory' tetra, it sounds like Gnathocharax. Nice little fish, only a threat of you're a small insect really. I've never seen them behaving aggressively in spite of reports.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

I have a group of 20 Hyphessobrycon elachys with 10 C. hastatus I am looking at the relationship between the two. How they react when feeding etc.
Image sorry about the size of the picture

Ian
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Thx guys!

HH was right on the button with his guess! I guessed they werent so predatory as the Corydoras grouped with it...the didnt look afraid of it. Mine is much more colorfull though shimmering very nicely. And when we returned home from a party i gave the tank a quick check and the fishes pectorals were all black which looked great! Have a digicam for a couple of days but my buddy forgot to give me the usb cable...so ill bring em online on monday most probably.
The tetra looks a bit different with shorter dorsal finnage and an fine blueish iridisating band on the side.
Is the Gnathocharax a rather rare fish? I brought home the lonely fish they had...so a few more wouldnt be bad i guess.
Pics due on Monday. Happy weekend everybody!
cheers
Christian
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Caol_ila wrote: Is the Gnathocharax a rather rare fish? I brought home the lonely fish they had...so a few more wouldn't be bad i guess.
Certainly not common in the trade, but I don't know whether that is because they only tend to be imported as by-catch. The most I've been able to get togther at one time was 5, they look good in a small group. Easy fish to care for, I quite fancy trying to breed them at some point.
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Finally back home and got the missing usb cable...:)

heres the pics...maybe the Tetras are the same as Ians. I got another one from a different lfs today for free...again the dudes at the shop missed this one. In all the Tetras have had a great effect on the small corys as the swim in the open more frequent now...have to add that theres Barbs in the tank with them...my girlfriends mixed tank.

the Tailspot-Tetras
the Arowana-Tetra

in a german source it said that the G.steindachneri is widely spread over the Amazon Basin...and its such a nice fish...makes me wonder why noone sells it...

Please let me know if the pics work!
cheers
Christian
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Your tetras don't look like the same species as Ian's. They actually look identical to <i>Cheirodon notomelas</i>, but without a dark region at the base and front edge of the dorsal fin. They are not <i>C. kriegi</i> because they lack as black spot at the base of the anal fin.
Using the key in Géry (1977), my best guess is your fish is <i>C. piaba</i>. The only picture I could find below shows a fairly good match:
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

thx HH so i guess this a pretty neat fish for 80 cents :) hmm could it be Odontestilbe pulchra? or would that be too rare a fish?
cheers
Christian
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

You're welcome. Apart from catfishes, nothing gives me more joy than picking out contaminant tetras. I got my <i>Iguanodectes</i> this way.
I don't think it's <i>O. pulchra</i> as it is said to have a small black caudal spot (the ones on your fish look fairly big).

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”