Phylogeny of Chinese Sisoridae

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Phylogeny of Chinese Sisoridae

Post by Silurus »

Guo X-G, Y-G Zhang, S-P He, Y-Y Chen, 2004. Mitochondrial 16S rRNA sequence variations and phylogeny of the Chinese sisorid catfishes. Chinese Science Bulletin, 49: 1586-1595.

Abstract

Partial sequences of mitochondrial 16S rRNA gene were obtained by PCR amplification for comparisons among nine species of glyptosternoid fishes and six species of non-glyptosternoids representing 10 sisorid genera. There are compositional biases in the A-rich impaired regions and G-rich paired regions. A-G transitions are primarily responsible for the Ts/Tv bias in impaired regions. The overall substitution rate in impaired regions is almost two times higher than that in the paired regions. Saturation plots at comparable levels of sequence divergence demonstrate no saturation effects. Phylogenetic analyses using both maximum likelihood and Bayesian methods support the monophyly of Sisoridae. Chinese sisorid catfishes are composed of two major lineages, one represented by (Gagata (Bagarius, Glyptothorax)) and the other by "glyptosternoids + Pseudecheneis". The glyptosternoids may not be a monophyletic group. A previous hypothesis referring to Pseudecheneis as the sister group of monophyletic glyptosternoids, based on morphological evidence, is not supported by the molecular data. Pseudecheneis is shown to be a sister taxon of Glaridoglanis. Pareuchiloglanis might be paraphyletic with Pseudexostoma and Euchiloglanis. Our results also support the hypothesis that Pareuchiloglanis anteanalis might be considered as the synonyms of Pareuchiloglanis sinensis, and genus Euchiloglanis might have only one valid species, Euchiloglanis davidi.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”