pseudopimeodus fowleri

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
amiidae
My images: 546
My cats species list: 82 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 178
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Singapore

pseudopimeodus fowleri

Post by amiidae »

Hi guys,

been trying to "search" the web for the cat but found nothing. (did i spell correct?)
:cry:

anyone care to advise the species profile, tank set up, water conditions (like PH etc ), diet etc.... or any good internet link which i may visit ?

p/s, currently, i only know that the max size is 80cm and the LFS been feeding it with feeder goldfish.
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Don't know much about it, but its species page is here: .

Rusty
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

funny, but there's one of those monsters here in an LFS.....

it was in a showtank with rays, Merodontotus etc.

but after it swallowed a few adult 10" Geophagus (!), the owner put it in a tank for itself!
it can and does eat fish right up to its' own size...amazing!
Valar Morghulis
amiidae

Post by amiidae »

Rusty wrote:Don't know much about it, but its species page is here: .

Rusty
thanks for the lead !

anyone keep this fish in this forum ?
Fishedin
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: London UK

Post by Fishedin »

Cool Fish. Expensive in the UK + rarely encountered these days. Biggest I've seen had a length of approx 18 inches and cost £295 (GBP).

Feisty when younger and very aggressive from subadult on. They have wide heads with a gape 1/4 of their body length, making most other fish fair game. As quoted in David Sand's Catfishes of the world (Vol 3) - can make a meal of Corydoras without any difficulty. Obviously nocturnal, likes sitting under wood but often rests at a 45 degree angle with its head poised against the aquarium glass. Will take most food and grows quickly, relishing prawns, mussells and chunks of fish. Kept mine in soft water with a pH of 6.5 - don't know the conditions of the river Sao Francisco, but can't imagine they're too fussy.

If you're looking for a community addition, would advise B raninus villosus - predatory with small fish but otherwise peaceful. Even p zungaro bufonis can create terror in most tanks.

Goodluck! Keep me posted

Nick.
Luca Brazzi sleeps with the fishes.
amiidae

Post by amiidae »

Fishedin wrote:Cool Fish. Expensive in the UK + rarely encountered these days. Biggest I've seen had a length of approx 18 inches and cost £295 (GBP).

Feisty when younger and very aggressive from subadult on. They have wide heads with a gape 1/4 of their body length, making most other fish fair game. As quoted in David Sand's Catfishes of the world (Vol 3) - can make a meal of Corydoras without any difficulty. Obviously nocturnal, likes sitting under wood but often rests at a 45 degree angle with its head poised against the aquarium glass. Will take most food and grows quickly, relishing prawns, mussells and chunks of fish. Kept mine in soft water with a pH of 6.5 - don't know the conditions of the river Sao Francisco, but can't imagine they're too fussy.

If you're looking for a community addition, would advise B raninus villosus - predatory with small fish but otherwise peaceful. Even p zungaro bufonis can create terror in most tanks.

Goodluck! Keep me posted

Nick.
thanks for the input Nick !!! indeed very helpful.

current pic update !

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/amii ... usfowleri/
lophius

Post by lophius »

I had two, I now have just the one.

The largest was 22" long, unfortunately after having it for more than a year it just turned turtle one night .. it currently resides in my freezer waiting a time when I can afford a taxidermist. I bought the specimen at 19" and shan't tell what I paid for it.

I have several photos of this super fish, unfortunately I do not see a facility for uploading photos here directly within a post, and do not have a website to link ... if anyone can pop the photos for me, i'd appreciate it ... I have in the past posted on predatroyfish and aqua-petsuk .. if you got here and search .. I have the same user name

The other that I have is now approaching 18" and is a different species (this one I suspect to be fowleri, the other I am not sure). I got this at 4" and paid £125 for it.

I personally would not keep this fish with any tank mates, even in the largest aquarium (and I have a 21" wykii in a community tank).

I also have some very poor shots of the smaller / existing fish.

carl
[/img]
amiidae

Post by amiidae »

lophius wrote:I had two, I now have just the one.

The largest was 22" long, unfortunately after having it for more than a year it just turned turtle one night .. it currently resides in my freezer waiting a time when I can afford a taxidermist. I bought the specimen at 19" and shan't tell what I paid for it.

I have several photos of this super fish, unfortunately I do not see a facility for uploading photos here directly within a post, and do not have a website to link ... if anyone can pop the photos for me, i'd appreciate it ... I have in the past posted on predatroyfish and aqua-petsuk .. if you got here and search .. I have the same user name

The other that I have is now approaching 18" and is a different species (this one I suspect to be fowleri, the other I am not sure). I got this at 4" and paid £125 for it.

I personally would not keep this fish with any tank mates, even in the largest aquarium (and I have a 21" wykii in a community tank).

I also have some very poor shots of the smaller / existing fish.

carl
[/img]
Ha Ha, seems like we all share the same "problem" when come to telling others esp our close-one abt the pricing :evil:

thks Carl.. will chk at the other forum.

btw, your "the other" species could it be pseu apurensis ?(similar but darker and "taller")

cheers !!!!

ben
lophius

Post by lophius »

Ha Ha, seems like we all share the same "problem" when come to telling others esp our close-one abt the pricing
:lol: You're not wrong !!!
thks Carl.. will chk at the other forum.

btw, your "the other" species could it be pseu apurensis ?(similar but darker and "taller")
I think that the big one was a proper fowleri, or nigricauda .. much broader mouth, generally a much bigger fish

The smaller, does indeed appear to be the same as the fish that I have seen in many japanese sites listed as C. apurensis ... although i just thought that was a psuedonym of C. fowleri

carl
amiidae

Post by amiidae »

anyone care to advise whether if i need to provide current for the Fowleri ?
lophius

Post by lophius »

I am not sure whether a current is 'required' but I do use either a powerhead or internal filter to provide a current in all of my aquariums ... foweleri does not seem bothered either way.

One thing is though, that when they get big they tolerate ntohing in the aquarium ... no decorations, rock / wood etc, no heaters, no filters etc ... just a word of warning.

carl
Piranha
Location 1: Hong Kong

Post by Piranha »

:D I also buy this fish this month, very good fish and it just 4" long and very cute!!

In Hong Kong, It just cost US$193.00. But I have a question about the Japan Web Site?? This have another kind of this fish Called " pseudopimeodus SP" and Cost US$943.00

http://www.geocities.co.jp/AnimalPark-L ... kamon.html
C :oops: Could any one told me the different?? Thank a lot!
amiidae

Post by amiidae »

Piranha wrote::D I also buy this fish this month, very good fish and it just 4" long and very cute!!

In Hong Kong, It just cost US$193.00. But I have a question about the Japan Web Site?? This have another kind of this fish Called " pseudopimeodus SP" and Cost US$943.00

http://www.geocities.co.jp/AnimalPark-L ... kamon.html
C :oops: Could any one told me the different?? Thank a lot!
i was in HK 3 days ago and saw a similar fish going for HKD1500ea and that is C apurensis

Fowleri are more golden brown.

C apurensis
http://www.arofanatics.com/members/amii ... apurensis/

C Fowleri
http://www.arofanatics.com/members/amii ... usfowleri/
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

sidguppy wrote:funny, but there's one of those monsters here in an LFS
It was sold recently for 50 euros (about 70 USD). And I thought Dutch LFS-ses were expensive....
amiidae

Post by amiidae »

Marc van Arc wrote:
sidguppy wrote:funny, but there's one of those monsters here in an LFS
It was sold recently for 50 euros (about 70 USD). And I thought Dutch LFS-ses were expensive....
you mean C Apurencis for 50euros or Fowleri for 50euros ?

cos in S'pore..... C Apurensis of that 6 inches size cost only USD40 & 1 ft Fowleri cost abt USD170.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

It was a fowleri of about 30 cm ( a little less than 1 foot)and he was really glad to get rid of it. It had already eaten a lot of fish that were actually meant to be sold, among which its smaller travelcompanion (also fowleri) of about 18 cm.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”