Cetopsid of some sort?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Cetopsid of some sort?

Post by Rusty »

We picked this guy and a larger specimen of the same sp. up at the LFS for $6.00 each (they were labeled as "Baby blind whale sharks"!). Both of them were close to death, w/ a bad case of fin rot, but they are healing nicely. Now, the question is what are they? I was thinking Pseudocetopsis, but looking at the picture now, I'm really not sure.

Any thoughts?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Rusty,
Looks like the photos of Pseudocetopsis that I have, but it does not look like any of the spp. I have photos of. Great acquisition.
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Welsatlas doesnt have many sp listed but one with blueish top and white bottom...Cetopsidae sp. "Peru" but the eyes are much smaller...how big is this one?
greetings
C
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

The small one is about 3 inches, and the big one is around 4.5-5 inches. Caol_ila, which atlas? Burgess?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Looks like it might be <i>Pseudocetopsis minutus</i>.

Heok Hee
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

EVERS/SEIDEL welsatlas band 1
german only afaik
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

The larger one is about 10 cm. Fishbase, which as we all know is often wrong on sizes, lists Pseudocetopsis minuta as 4.9 cm SL. Is that wrong?

Interestingly, they can really leap!
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

The only other fish that looks a bit like these is Tatia, or Centromochlus (both Auchenipterids) but those have very small or modified anal fins; that one has a nice, long normal anal fin. It looks a lot like the Pseudocetopsis pics in the Wels-Atlas!
Those tatia's etc have serrated pectoral and dorsal spines. If it hasn't spines, it's a cetopsid!
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Dinyar,

I was mooching about the Fish Division library today to try and better identify your cetopsid. Didn't find much, but I think <i>Pseudocetopsis othonops</i> is a much better candidate. Plus, it's about the right size for your fish.

Heok Hee

Return to “What is my catfish?”