now I have the space, what syno

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
vantgE
Location 1: Calgary Alberta

now I have the space, what syno

Post by vantgE »

So i posted here before about getting some synos that didn't need to be kept in groups aparently the eupterus, and nigriventis would be good but is their anything else i could get, the tank is a 90 gallon bigger than i though I finally bought one and it will be mostly for cichlids. I want to add a syno to my tank and have done some research but i thought i should post here to see what i could get, i don't think i could fit any large schooling synos and i know petrrachola are dwarf and Birger(thanks) suggested nigriventis and i have seen these. Anyways is there something else i should look for at the lfs besides, nigritas, nigriventis, eupterus, and petrichola?
would njasse work? cause then i could call it a biotope

thankyou
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

vantgE

Post by vantgE »

will they work with my c ichlids though?
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

And what "c ichlids" would those be? Discus? Chromides? Have to be more specific in a family whose husbandry requirements, aggressiveness etc. varies so much :-)

Rusty
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

you have been given wrong info, if you think that petricola and nigriventris do well when kept single, or can be mixed easily.

both species are docile shoaling fish that stay small.
they don't mix well;
nigriventris likes a dark tank with lots of plants, bogwood and neutral to slightly acidic, medium to soft water.
petricola likes rocks, hard water and an alcaline pH.....

and mixing Tangs and nonTangs isn't that smart.
fish like nigrita and eupterus are sturdy adaptable fish, that can also be kept in Rifttanks (Tanganyika, Malawi, Victoria), but I STRONGLY ADVICE AGAINST keeping Synodontis nigriventris in such a setup!!

Synodontis njassee is a grouper/shoaler; highly social. It's a fairly big fish, often reaching 8", and active too; it needs a roomy tank. It should not be kept in groups smaller than 4-5.
because true njassee's are always wildcaughts, it's fairly demanding on waterquality: it definitely needs to be kept in proper water: pH 7,5-8,5; GH as much as possible, preferably well over 10.

unfortunately fish sold as "S njassee" are often other species; mostly S ocellifer, S robbianus or S nigrita; sometimes hybrids are sold as such.
Valar Morghulis
vantgE

Post by vantgE »

I was planning on getting either one eupterus, or 3 petrichola, or 3 nigriventis, or one nigrita, i was just being hopefull with the njasse didn't expect to be able to keep it

It is a malawi setup so I gather no nigriventis

and could i get a trio of petrichola i wasn't sure what you meant

the info wasn't wrong i might have said it wrong so sorry

thankyou for help
:o :D
sidguppy
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

petricola will do fine in a Malawi tank. But I wouldn't stop at just three; they're small shoalers, if you get 4-5, they're much more rewarding and visible.
Valar Morghulis
vantgE

Post by vantgE »

anyone have a prefernce between the etuptus or petrichla or nigrita? my dad like the color on the petrichola better, but i'm sorta looking for something active will all these fish be active, I hear the eupterus is but don't know about the others,

also at my petland there is a tank labeled nigritas but the fish are black is this mislabeled or will they change color?
sidguppy

Post by sidguppy »

You're stuck on Tanganyikan Syno's if you want active ones!

riverines are much more secretive, and often hide all day, especially when adult!

if you like to see your cats, there's no better choice than either multipunctatus or petricola.
for obvious reasons you have to get a group then, or they'll hide as well.

that means at least 5 or so, of a single species.
Valar Morghulis
vantgE

Post by vantgE »

how much should petrichola cost in canada anybody know?

Return to “African Catfishes”